Thanks Hans & Soren. We asked that same question when we started. We use food-grade PVOH film that has been thoroughly tested, analyzed, approved and is far below the permitted levels. In fact each pod is only 3% film and 97% toothpaste. The film dissolves in saliva or water and is rinsed away after brushing. As you mentioned, it is not intended for ingestion since the user brushes and rinses away as with any toothpaste. Even if accidentally ingested, the ingredients of the film are well within safety limits. Safer in fact, than bubble gum. We will be seeking FDA approval in our next step. We are hoping to eliminate or greatly reduce plastic packaging from our environment. Thanks!