Hi Amplify Team I have updated my submission, to answer the questions your experts asked. - What are the barriers to Kenyans using existing platforms to sell products? Limited firm resources and international contacts as well as lack of requisite managerial knowledge about existing platforms, Factors within the external environment of kenyan small and micro businesses including networks and supply chain links that many don't have, Limited information to locate/analyse markets, Shortage of working capital to finance exports and challenges in Identifying global business opportunities by existing Kenyan platforms. Global Kijiji is able to offer clear market linkages for Kenyan businesses to global markets and also support independent youth entrepreneurs receive payments via its innovating mobile platform.
- How do you see yourself intervening in the eCommerce process? Do you intend to only publish products on the website? We intend to control and manage the entire supply chain of the products(bags and jewelry) that will be sold via Global Kijiji, therefore creating more jobs and running a sustainable business. Our goal is not only to publish products on our website but also offer logistical support, customer service, storage and supply chain links also organizing and participating in international trade shows so as to generate more revenue. In this regard we have already partnered with the International Trade Center based in Switzerland and the Export Promotion Council.
-Do you have solutions for: the logistics of the products sold, storage, other related services? Yes we have partnered with international logistics firm DHL which provides storage, transportation and customer delivery services. In 2017 Q2 we intend to Convert method of shipping from air freight to ocean containers thus saving more than $80k annually in operational and shipping costs.
- How do you want to reach a wider audience and use? By using social media mainly Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest and Snapchat we want to reach out to a wide audience by utilizing cheaper sources and models. We also want to partner with large scale retailers who will sell or products through department stores and online shops talks are underway with several leading retailers in New York and London. We plan on diversifying our product offering to include home décor products after conducting an extensive market research into the potential of handmade home décor. In 2017 by Q3 we intend to increase production efficiency and artisan employment to 1000 artisans
- Tell us more about the 'Each One, Teach One' apprenticeship - how does this align with your idea? What is its impact on your users? 'Each One, Teach One' apprenticeship focuses on finding and training youth, women and persons with disabilities in handicraft design and equipping them with practical business knowledge to stand on their own. The initiative is as a result of the number of skilled artisans within our network who want to offer training to young people for 6 months to acquire such skills. This program aligns perfectly with our idea since it offers a path to gainful employment for those involved and also it helps Global Kijiji tap into a wider pool of young people to make products. The impact has seen those involved being gainfully employed and getting skills which are life long such as saving, communication and technical artisan skills.
- Who else is in your network of users? Potential partners? Do you have existing working relationships? What has worked well and what are some lessons learned? How do you collaborate together? How will they contribute to the eCommerce aspects of Kijiji? What are their needs? Our partners include the International Trade Center based in Switzerland which equips us with training on global trade and export supply knowledge. Also the Export Promotion Council which has helped us organize trade fairs increasing our international customer base. The aspect of attending international trade shows has worked well helping us strike deals with retailers who attend the event.
- Have you reached out to existing platforms? Is there a potential for a partnership and work together to address your challenge idea? We intend to reach out to more platforms going forward so as to work together and address challenges.
- Do you have a specific range of products you want to focus on? Is this something you considered? Yes our specific product range includes bags made from recycled leather and jeans and also jewelry made from recycled brass. We focus on producing Eco-sensitive products that are handcrafted to the highest design quality and uniqueness. How will you build a larger international market? By partnering with large scale retail stores such as Neiman Marcus, Macy's and H&M to provide an avenue for our artisans to sell in wholesale therefore reaching a wide market with their products.
Jason Friesen It would be awesome to collaborate with you. Your 911 product provides a great opportunity to make a difference in the lives of the marginalized. I hope that your solution and mine can find a successful way to address the issues of persons with disabilities