Food is a core part of the human experience, yet annually we waste a third of all of the food produced worldwide. That’s why we’re working on the Food Waste Challenge, tackling this question:
How might we dramatically reduce waste by transforming our relationship with food?
We're already gaining great momentum in the Challenge and for #Unwasted, a series of collaborative efforts that highlight the food we throw out every day. The efforts include: Unwasted Food Diaries and Cook-off, and two global events series: Watch Your Waste Meals and Hack Your Waste Events.
Last month we kicked off #Unwasted with “Watch Your Waste” events, where our global community gathered over waste-conscious meals. The results were astounding, with over 80 meals hosted in over 30 countries. These events raised awareness about out relationship with food and helped us consider creative approaches to reducing our food waste.
Hack Your Waste Events
Now, we have an opportunity to again mobilize a global community: this time to design innovative solutions to food waste. We invite you to jump in and “Hack Your Waste”.
PLANNING AN EVENT
“Hack Your Waste” Events can take many forms: from a traditional full-day or full-weekend “Hack-A-Thon” format, to an open design brainstorm, to a small project work session. You'll learn and practice key design thinking methodologies like collaborative brainstorming, prototyping, and journey-mapping. Focus on ideating solutions that reduce food waste, build a tangible prototype of the idea, and then post it into the OpenIDEO Challenge: your innovation could win $25K for implementation!
Interested? In the coming days, we will provide more information here and send specific information for all interested Event Hosts. For now, just sign up! In the coming days, we will provide you with an events page that will allow you to promote and invite your event.
HERE'S A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO HOST YOUR HACK YOUR WASTE EVENT:
- Complete the form below to tell us about your event, and we will include it on our list
- Hold tight! In the coming days, we will provide you with an events page that will allow you to invite your local community.
- Use this "Hack Your Waste Event Toolkit" to plan and execute your event
- The organizer and at least one participant post contributions in the Food Waste Challenge before September 16
- Share photos and multimedia from your events on social media with the #Unwasted hashtag (and don't forget to tag @OpenIDEO)
Sign up below: we would be delighted if you would join us as we Hack Your Waste!