Baby Blossom - Thriving digital assistant from pregnancy to childhood
We have more than 5 years experience in using mobile technologies for maternal and child health and wellbeing in East and West Africa.
The main challenges we faced when using SMS, Voice technologies and Mobile apps for community health workers (CHWs):
- Mobile phone ownership / SIM change
- Phone is not charged (might take 2 or more days before gets charged again)
- GSM Network failure (phone is not under coverage, network signal is very low and unstable)
- High costs of SMS prevent national and regional scale and long term or continuous program
- limited amount of info due to costs (SMS and Voice are expensive to support self-diagnosis, flow charts, decision trees, or instructions for a DIY remedy like ORS)
- limited reach of CHWs
Our research and experience showed us that information technology is of great assistance, the settings though are not the best for deployment.
See the type of challenges we faced in using mobile technologies we decided to define the problem as follows:
How might we provide mothers with relevant, timely, actionable and on demand information for being able to take care of their babies, ensuring them healthy growth and thrive in their first 5 years with no network and no power?