The "Tinker with Nature" Design Kid would include:
- Toy designs for kids (look at attached pics)
- Household item designs for parents (look at attached pics)
- Additional tools such as scissors, glue, colored sheets of paper, etc
- No written words will be needed as the illustrations will be self-explanatory due to the representation of every step
- Designs will be adjusted to the specifc natural materials found in specific countries
- Toys will be categorized by age, including easier to create toys for children from 2-3 and more difficult to create toys for children from 4-5
- Designs for household items are applicable to the needs of the community and include explanations on for example...
- How to create baskets?
- How to create clay vases?
- How to create paint?
Based on feedback from the openIDEO community, the idea could be expanded to include a degree of mentorship by recruiting local children who are a bit older (8-10 year old children, perhaps) as mentors to the younger children to encourage creativity when creating these toys and to help and take on responsibilities.
We need to think about a way that increases the Kit's value to parents and children equally, as parents might no see the immediate value of creating toys from natural materials. Bundling the Kit with other "products" might work but needs to be looked into deeper.
For the older kids, maybe toys or products to help them at school and develop their knowledge can also be part of the kit. Math, geometry and other subjects are easer when kids visualize some products and use them during the classes.