Lighting up homes for healthy children and families
Many families in rural Western Kenya use kerosene tin lamps for lighting their houses. others use candles, firewood and kerosene lanterns if they are fairly rich by rural standards. Every evening young children who are always with their mothers and other siplings enhale smoke that is unhealthy which leads chidlren and families to suffer from eye problems, chest as well as be exposed to houses catching fire since most of the poor peoples houses are made of grass. Working with parents at early childhood centres, we shall set up a solar lanterns acquisition centre where parents will purchase the lanterns at affordable cost through a credit arrangement.
Parents at one ECDE centre will form a group. Discussions and education of clean renewable energy will be done. Since they know each other, they will guarantee each other to purchas low cost but durable solar lanterns at $ 9.5 dollars by credit. With an everage of 70 parents per ECDE centre and later working with 18 centres, over 1,800 children lives will be improved plus the lives of other family members at an average of 5 members per family. thus 6,300.
Who will benefit from this idea and where are they located?
Children and family members will greatly benefit from the project. A total of 6,300 family members in the community are expected to benefit in Kakamega County as a pilot.
How could you test this idea in a quick and low-cost way right now?
1. Provide information about solar lanterns to parents and local leaders.
2. Demonstrate how it can work to the parents.
3. Organise groups and commence the process of recruitment and purchase of lanterns on credit basis.
4. Fine tune the credit scheme
What kind of help would you need to make your idea real?
1. Work with experts in the area of credit system establishment at village level.
2. Identify workable feedback from OpenIDEO community
3. Work out a monitoring and cash collection system to late on develop it into a revolving fund for the community
Is this an idea that you or your organization would like to take forward?
Yes. I am ready and interested in testing this idea and making it real in my community.