Overview of the project
CiBus is a pilot project done by Public Health Student Association of Udayana University, collaborate with local organizations and supported by David and Lucile Packard Foundation. The aim of this project is to provide an attractive, friendly, and better health service access for adolescent and youth regarding sexual and reproductive health issue in Bali Province, Indonesia.
The idea of CiBus Project came from our concerns about the early marriage phenomena among adolescent and youth in Bali. Many teenagers who are still junior high school students and senior high school students are forced to end their formal education in school because they have been plunged into misery risky sexual behavior that leads to unwanted pregnancies, which also increase number of early marriage. Based on research about sexual behavior among 1,200 teenager in Denpasar City that held by KISARA PKBI Bali (July - September 2016) shows that almost 55.58% of total participant have good knowledge about STDs and HIV-AIDS. However 44.42% of the participants still have lack knowledge about that. About 6.48% of the participants having sex (vagina) and 9.77% oral sex, which 43.86% of them never use condom. About 16.6% from total participant agree that doing vagina sex is legal before marriage. The average age of having vaginal sex is 15.4 years old, and the youngest is 11 years old. These results are both shocking and alarming.
On the other hand, access to sexual and reproductive health education and services for adolescent and youth is limited, even considered taboo by most people. Therefore, we feel compelled to contribute in providing an attractive and friendly access of information regarding SRH topic. We put this study as a community need assessment to support CiBus Project.
context and issue
CiBus Project focus on some issue regarding SRH:
- STDs and HIV-AIDS prevention.
- Sexual abuse and violence.
- Preparing family life for youth.
- Unwanted pregnancy.
- The role of parents in preventing risky sexual behavior in adolescents.
All of these topics are presented through several short movie to increase the knowledge, attitude, and behavior of adolescent and youth, so they have skills and confidence to protect their health and promote safe sexual choices.
CiBus Project in one activity consist of some stations:
- Registration and Pre-test Station.
- Game Station.
- Discussion Station.
- Movie Station (inside the bus) and Post-test.
The participant should follow from Station 1 until Station 4 in order. Each station is provided with souvenir as a reward for those who can complete each station.
cibus pilot project result
Denpasar is a capital city of Bali Province, Indonesia. Based on community need assessment in the research background, we decide to implement CiBus Project in all city around Bali Province as a pilot project and also to conduct further study regarding SRH issue among adolescent and youth. After we did this project in 9 cities (Denpasar, Badung, Gianyar, Klungkung, Tabanan, Karangasem, Bangli, Buleleng, and Negara) within April until May 2017, we got some result:
- Total participant was 925 students (junior high school and senior high school).
- Based on pre-test and post-test statistical analysis, it shows that CiBus Project was effective to increase the knowledge, attitude, and behavior of the participants regarding SRH (significant result).
- About 95.2% of the participants are willing to join a social media campaign to increase SRH knowledge.
- About 98.9% of the participants were willing to deliver the information about SRH to the other.
- About 99.5% of the participants were willing to participate in long term campaign and giving an active contribution related to project/program.
Based on these result, we can conclude that this pilot project was succeed. We also get some suggestion from the participants, parents, and local stakeholder in the community regarding CiBus Project sustainability:
- CiBus Project is potentially developed for larger scales (national and global).
- Most of them hope that CiBus Project can be implemented not only in big city (good facilities), but also in rural area (less facilities).
- Health promotion method using CiBus Project is innovative approach and potentially to empowers and educates young people regarding SRH to protect their health and promote safe sexual choices.
Insights from cibus project
How might we use innovative health promotion approach (CiBus Project) to empowers and educates young people regarding SRH to protect their health and promote safe sexual choices?