Challenge Accepted! is a platform that would gather a super-team of individuals (mix of old and young) based on two criteria: a)skills/experience and b)desired learning outcomes of the participants. The members of the team would complement each other nicely, each of them offering what the other person wants to learn. The learning takes place through doing a project together! The teams would be faced with a general challenge (ie. household waste) to which they would respond with a project that addressed the challenge in some way. The platform would make recommendations based on the skills and the experience of the participants for the projects, but teams can decide which idea to pursue. (SEE DIAGRAM)
How would you describe your idea in one sentence?
Let’s get the older and the younger generation to bond and exchange their knowledge through working together on projects that are meaningful and beneficial to them and to their environment as well.
Elements of the online platform:
- Detailed profiles of each participant (skills and desired learning outcomes are key)
- The system to aid the matching process of the young and older participants
- A project Gallery, to showcase the projects
- Sponsors can choose challenges, offer rewards and recognition for the best teams and projects (quite similarly to openIDEO actually)
Benefit for the youth:
- skill building, extracurricular credit, building a resume and real-life experience with a project
- building meaningful relationships with the older generation, building mutual respect and empathy through the process with the older generation
Benefit for the older generation:
- developing new, much needed skills
- feeling valuable and as a contributing member of society
- building mutual respect and empathy through the process with the younger generation
What early, lightweight experiment can you try out in your own community to test any assumptions you might have about your idea?
- building a quick microsite and getting a small group of participants to try work together on a small project based on manual matching
What aspects of your idea could benefit from the input, skills or know-how of our OpenIDEO community?
- developing the a successful matching system
- getting participants to try the idea
- marketing and outreach to both groups