- Research girls' and boys' educational participation, challenges and opportunities
- Design and test programmes of contextually appropriate models of educational leadership
- Study students' participation in school governance
- Investigate contextually relevant models and approaches to education
- Understand and respond to local needs of educators and learners in a variety of contexts.
AKU TIHE itself contributes to socio-economic development across East Africa. It does so by addressing the alleviation of poverty by improving the quality of education through human resource development, institutional capacity building, including partnerships with the public sector, and research. Our philosophy of change is to work towards systemic development of the education system in the region through capacity building, so that development initiatives are sustained once projects are concluded.