The Career Exploratorium
Exploring the job market, identifying skills needed to succeed, and developing a professional plan while making strategic connections.
EXPLAIN YOUR IDEA
The Career Exploratorium provides exposure to careers and job market learning for Ugandan youth, with a special focus on women coming out of poverty. Many youth struggle to find jobs with high unemployment rates across the country (about 63%). The majority of the unemployed are youth. Even worse odds, women are disproportionately discriminated against in the job market. Without knowing where the jobs are, what the employers are looking for, and who they want to be as professionals, youth are left to rely on strained family support. Our project takes a 3 part approach to inform and inspire:
Part 1: Learning
• Educating youth on job market statistics (local and global)
• Identifying skills needed to get those jobs
• Learning personal interests and passions
• Learning soft skills: conflict resolution, dealing with difficult people, goal setting, customer service, and time management
Part 2: Exploring
• Applying those interests and skills in various job sectors: agriculture, construction, tourism & hospitality, restaurants, and other small business
• Visit job locations, see the behind the scenes of industries
• Professional development approaches: internships, apprenticeships, mentorships
• Building a resume
• Interviewing skills
Part 3: Professional Planning
• Establish learning objectives with timeline
• Networking events with local businesses and employers
• Establishing a professional mentorship
Ugandan youth ages 18-35, especially women will benefit by seeing a new world of job opportunities and learn how to set themselves apart in a competitive arena.
TELL US MORE ABOUT YOU
Abide Family Center is a registered non-profit operating in Jinja, eastern Uganda. We work to keep families together and out of poverty by offering business classes, small business counseling, social work case management, positive parenting classes, and access to health care.
WHERE WILL YOUR IDEA BE IMPLEMENTED?
EXPERIENCE IN IMPLEMENTATION COUNTRY(IES)
Yes, for more than one year.
EXPERTISE IN SECTOR
I’ve worked in a sector related to my idea for over a year