- The CKW's are elected by their peers in their local communities. The CKW's are also farmers.
- The CKW's are taught how to use mobile technology provided by Grameen.
- The mobile technology contains, "information on weather and marketing prices and advice on caring for crops and animals and treating pests and diseases."
- Grameen collects the data and analyzes it.
- Farmer notices rash on goat. Farmer takes goat to the community CKW. CKW uses Grameen's mobile tech to diagnose rash and treatment within 15 minutes.
- Farmer's chickens all die. CKW assists the farmer in creating correct food formula/mix for chickens via Grameen's mobile tech. Now the farmer's chickens thrive.
- A farmer could not grow pineapples. CKW gives him the knowledge how to farm pineapples from instructions via Grameen's mobile tech. Farmer now makes a good income off his pineapples.
Grammen provides free of charge "agricultural extension information via a growing network of CKW's in 15 districts across Uganda" with 400,000 pieces of information delivered to farmers. A type of "contract is established with each village. It requests that the villagers elect the CKW who will provide them with timely info. In return, the villagers give the CKW's their time. 'Time' meaning: allowing CKW's to survey the community. Grameen then helps other organizations with data analysis, reporting, and real-time dashboard design. With that fee-for-service model, Grameen can then do more good out in the field."
Communites can't charge phones easily. Fenix International Inc. worked with Grameen to develop the "ReadySet Solar Kit"--a charging solution that powers phones, lights, and radios. This reduces energy costs.
- "Over 700 CKW's share vital agricultural information with farmers across Uganda using smartphones."
- "More than 70% adopt improved farming techniques as a result."
- The CKW's are respected in their communities.
Grameen has quite a few other notable solutions geared toward agricultural financing and healthcare. It's worth checking out their website in full.