Below is an excerpt of key strategies that the Huairou Commission has launched to empower grassroot women organizations to build safer environments.
Grassroots Women's Strategies and Actions1. Grassroots Women provide support to one another: Through counseling victims of violence and healing circles women share unbearable experiences of violence while transforming them into collective power (or power with) to change a condition of victim into organizing for change.
2. Grassroots Women organize violence prevention networks at local, national and global levels:
- At the local level, women transfer knowledge on human rights, decentralized governance structures and use cell phones to alert one another of cases of violence and need for support.
- At the national level, women advocate for gender equality policies and its due implementation.
- At the global level, women strengthen their leadership by combining voices and learning from their peers’ experiences. We foster a learning community and believe strongly in the power of peer learning, a kind of learning that builds upon notions of empowerment and popular education.3. Grassroots Women map their communities: Click here to find out more about Safety Audits.
4. Grassroots women hold Local to Local Dialogues After consolidating recommendations from all the other actions, especially the safety audits result, grassroots women organize dialogues with local authorities to incorporate their proposals into policies and or implement existing policies accordingly.
The original post can be found here: http://huairou.org/supportsafety