Shalmali is a young indian girl. After a hard working day in Bombay (Shalmali sells fruits and vegetables), Shalmali needs to come back home, in the Bombay suburbs. She will have to take a train, and then to walk for about 30 minutes to join her family.
Shalmali never feels safe when coming back home alone. You never know what could happen, especially in crowded areas.
Sometimes Shalmali has the possibility to walk with other girls of her low-income suburbs, and she feels much more safer !
Yesterday, someone talk Shalmali about a new thing called “Women’s Pool”. The thing is easy and very useful : Women’s Pool is a girls-dedicated service, materialized by “meeting pools” installed all around the city (in the streets like bus stops, but also in schools, shops, laundries, bars, etc.). Women’s Pool is a physical place where girls can “post” / inform about their next journeys (destination, hour, etc.), and meet other girls with whom they can share it.
Women’s Pool becomes therefore the “starting point” of a safer journey.
Today Shalmali is going to try it !
HOW DOES IT WORK ? (UPDATED 03/26/2014)
- As possible, based in closed areas (train stations could be a good alternative), with restricted acces for women (guard), to maximize security, to keep journeys confidentiality (avoid bad attention : for example someone who would use the service to track women).
- Meeting Pools in the Cities + Suburbs
- Visual identification of the meeting pools (cf. illiteracy).
- "Journeys Board" as a market place where women could share their journeys information (here again, we should think about the illiteracy problematics)
Meeting Pools Mapping :
- Implement meeting pools mapping in diverse places (bars, restaurants, shops, laundries, associations, etc.)
Badges / Community Sign
- The Red Bangle could be a great community symbol (+ a useful self-defense tool - for the "last mile" problematic).
- Community Sign as a pride + dissuasive tool + identification tool (easier to meet women who are looking for a journey partner)
Ambassadors / Concierges
- Women's Pool Guard could be good ambassador.
- The Bindis Idea could be very interesting to mix
- Imagine a reward system, to encourage womens to talk about the Women's Pool.
Cell Phones & Smartphone devices
- In developped countries, the Women's Pool could be complementary with a mobile app (Basic Cellphone Device or more evoluted Smart Phone Device, depending on the country developement level)
Beyond Journey Sharing
- Women's Pool is more than a journey sharing platform : it's a sharing platform that could help women networking, sharing their daily problematics, etc.
How to prototype this idea ?
- Install Women's Pool in Train Stations (waiting for the SNCF french railway firm response).
- Prototype to be developped in NYU, by the great Design Tinkering Club
(UPDATED 04/14 - see sketches)
#1 Service Discovering
The user discover the women's pool service in a train station. She enters the place and get informations about the service thanks to the community concierge who is running the place.
Next Day. Before going to work in downtown, the users stops at the train station. She gets in the pool aera that she discovered a few days ago, to mention on a board her back journey informations (time + destination). The community concierge is here to help / guide her.
After her working day, the user comes back to the pool. She checks wether there is an other user with whom she can share the journey. Yes there is : in 20 minutes exactly.
While waiting for her "partner", the community concierge gives her a "women's pool" badge, to symbolize her appartenance to the community. (could be #3bis ?)
#4 Journey Sharing
The users share their journeys. They talk about things and others.
The users arrive at their first destination.
In order to be accompanied for the last mile, the last user ask her partner's male friend to bring her back to her home, at a few blocks.
#5 Community Management
During the night, the users talk about the service to their friends and families. They decide to open a new "pool" in their neighborhood.
- Design / Graphic Designers to work on the Women's Pool Identity
- Local helps to prototype in train stations, universities,
- Mobile Apps expert
WANT TO CONTRIBUTE ?
I have also created a Google + community to share contents :
" Women's Pool Project " <-----