Building Confidence, Business Interest and Skills among Female Youth in Selected Slams in Kampala City in Uganda
The idea is for young females of the ages ranging from 18 to 35 years of age who are not employed in formal employment and depend on others for their well-being. These will focus on girls and young women living in slams - who have basic education and are willing to do something (e.g. a business) to earn a worthwhile living, but are unable to find formal employment. The idea will also focus on prostitutes that are struggling to leave the trade for another livelihood.
By reducing female dependency on others for their well-being/livelihoods, the idea shall help in making them female secure.
The idea will involve:
The idea will succeed because many youth in the slams lack good career guidance. They may not even have ideas or just lack the confidence on how to start a small business. There are many female youth living in slams that desire to change their circumstances.
- Selecting slam commuities around Kampala City in which to implement the idea. The selection will be based on proximity to the city. Slam communities within and 2kilometers outside the city will be selected, because these are the most populated and usually hard to leave places.
- Formal meetings with the slam community, including the leadership to introduce the idea and seek buy-in.
- Working with identified/nominated focal persons, organise separate meetings for the female youth in the slam community to discuss the idea and its support.
- Jointly map-out the business enterprises that femaleyouth are interested in and believe they would undertake, if supported.
- Conduct discussions on the viability of the identified business opportunities and how, where, when and from who to seek support from
- Link the female youth to sources of support
- Make follow-up in the slam community to assess adoption of the ideas
What does the community think about this idea
Explain your idea in one sentence.
Assist in improving the lives of the disadvantaged female youth living in Kampala City slams
What is the need you are trying to solve?
The need to be self-sustaining
Who will benefit from this idea and how would you monitor its success?
The unemployed female youth; females engaged in prostitution that have the desire to abandon the trade
Government will benefit through the idea addressing social challenges it is unable to address currently.
Monitoring will be done frequently with the assistance of the focal persons. This will be done using sms, telephone calls and field visits to have meetings with the beneficiary female youth and the local leadership.
Who would be best equipped to implement this idea in the real world? You? Your organisation? Another organisation or entity?
Water Governance Institute because it is part of the organisation's key result area of addressing poverty, ensuring gender parity and equity in development
Where should this idea be implemented?
The idea will be implemented in selected slam communities surrounding Kampala City, the Capital City of Uganda
How might you prototype this idea and test some of the assumptions behind it?
A 12 months pilot phase will be implemented to test the assumptions that will be implemented later in 24 months period.