The need for drinking water is ever increasing – with sources remaining constant and population increasing several folds; the demand for clean drinking water is constantly increasing.
The concept of providing drinking water through dedicated water centers has been in practice for a long time. These centers typically use old technologies like Reverse Osmosis to treat water. One of the biggest drawbacks of using this old technology has been the amount of water wasted during treatment (close to 60%) and slow adoption due to high maintenance costs for these units.
Aquasphere has introduced a new water treatment system using a technology called Capacitive De-ionization in the market. This innovative product treats ground / surface water and delivers drinking water at an operating cost of just 3-4 paise per liter. It wastes very little water during treatment (about 20%) and requires very low power to desalinate water.
These systems do not use chemicals, are simple to operate, maintain and easy to deploy.
Combined with an innovative business model that is inclusive in nature, it is possible to increase adoption while at the same time build revenue generation opportunities for social entrepreneurs in the communities they serve.
The business model is based on the following key principles:
- Affordable: Deliver affordable Drinking water to BOP consumers.
- Sustainable: Use combination of technologies around drinking water that ensures water recycling and reuse.
- Inclusive: Create a revenue plan that will ensure water centers are self sustaining in its operation
- Environmental Friendly: Be environmentally friendly to ensure that the output of the process does not contaminate the environment
Some of the key outcomes envisaged with this model are:
- Deliver long term health benefits to the community by providing them with good and healthy drinking water that meets WHO standards
- Provide Companies / Investors with opportunities through which they can measure the impact of their CSR spend
- Provide companies with opportunities / avenues to increase their revenues by selling their products to the BOP customers.
- Create a platform to provide best in class services like e-Health, e-Education hinged around the drinking water centre
The solution explained in this presentation explains how we can achieve the above outcomes with a combination of technologies that have been developed and adopted for Indian village conditions.
These technologies have been tested, commercialized and are ready for mass deployment at this stage.