In today's global scenario of WASH solutions provision to BoP (Base of the Pyramid) market, the value chain has been inefficient, ineffective, and lacking the catalyzing mechanism to reach universal access. Svadha's Ashoka-awarded PIE model has been recognized by the Toilet Board Coalition as one of the 4 disruptive models, globally, in the space of sustainable provision of WASH solutions using market forces.
The gaps in the rural sanitation space we’re addressing are Accessibility, Availability, and Affordability and Information/Knowledge of “COMPLETE” QUALITY WASH solutions
Problems in India’s rural sanitation sector without Svadha:
- Lack of customized choice- as local markets do not offer all-in-one WASH solutions
- Rigid Price - $60 for a pit latrine to a minimum of $400 for toilet with complete closet
- Lack of Awareness: still unaware of the disastrous consequences of open defecation
- Low-quality products: Huge presence of counterfeit but costly material with consumers having low awareness on the quality and on how to build comfortable, sturdy toilets
- Fragmented market: A highly disorganized, fragmented sanitation supply chain, with each player working in silos to their core competencies and lacking coordinated action to solving water, sanitation, and hygiene issues.
- Lack of one-stop shop availability of the necessary products and materials to build toilets and ensure proper toilet and hygiene maintenance in local markets.
Svadha creates an organized WASH market by connecting an army of last-mile entrepreneurs with first-mile product and service providers. Solutions are tailored for BoP customers through design research and negotiating directly with suppliers to deliver quality products at fair prices for households. By leveraging ICT and an army of village entrepreneurs, Svadha transparently delivers complete WASH solutions at the doorsteps of BoP customers.
Key Aspects of Svadha:
- Unique user experience: Solutions are adapted to the different budgets and evolved to meet different needs and aspirations like comfort, privacy, social status, and good health
- Complete WASH solutions at a single shop, guaranteed quality at affordable rates, easy access, and sustained availability through entrepreneurs
- One-Stop Shop for entrepreneurs:– Entrepreneurs receive the complete package of WASH products and services like: Svadha total (complete toilet elements); Svadha quick (pre-casted toilets); Svadha green (bio-toilets); Svadha care (sanitation plus hygiene products and water) at their door-step, working capital financing at highly competitive rates, hand-holding for business support, business marketing and consumer awareness support, and training on innovations in lieu of service fee
- Quality and Affordability: Svadha directly deals with manufacturers, surpassing the distributors/dealers resulting in affordable product pricing with guaranteed quality
- Efficiency and Transparency: The technology product – WASH software as a service (SaaS) provides complete integrated WASH solutions to rural market via ICT enabled BaS Mobile application. It offers end-to-end enterprise mobile platform for research, CRM, e-commerce purchasing Kart, analytics, cataloging, and warehouse management. The first version of this product (termed "Sanitool") has been launched and piloted. This is against the current status quo wherein all stakeholders operating in this space either follow an unorganized value chain (e.g., local dealers) or a value chain wherein all aspects are managed manually and in a piecemeal manner resulting in high transaction costs, inefficiencies, and limited reach. The benefits of using a cloud-based mobile application include:
- A significantly large number of entrepreneurs (globally) can be reached in much shorter time. These entrepreneurs are the key interface who provide complete WASH solutions to end consumers.
- Both entrepreneurs and end consumers will have easy accessibility, availability, and affordability of quality WASH solutions with complete transparency of pricing, material and transaction costs
- Enhanced accessibility of information on WASH to help improve sanitation and hygiene habits.