Citywide Soap Box Derby
Soap box derbies never fail to pull the community together in friendly competition. A citywide competition can inspire youth as well as foster a sense of local pride and civic participation.
Teams young and old, adults and children, representing families, schools, companies, and any other group of like-minded denizens participate in a massive competition pitting the best the city has to offer in a heavily publicized day of family fun.
To promote inclusiveness soap box teams should be encouraged to design for aesthetics (or lack thereof) in addition to speed--perhaps incentivized by superlative contest categories like "most unfortunate looking" or "most provocative."
The revitalization of any city begins with its citizens united with purpose and direction.
What resources (money, time, people, technology, etc) will your concept need to be successful?
- An aggressive marketing push will be necessary to spread awareness and garner participants for the competition.
- Local junkyards and hardware stores should offer discounts to participants of the event.
- Neighborhood will have to set aside designated proving grounds, blocked off from traffic for teams to practice and compete on.
- Police and emergency services personnel should also have a higher presence to handle accidents should they occur.
- Volunteers will be needed from every community to facilitate the logistics and judging of each race.
What steps could you take to implement this idea today?
Almost every city already has a soap box derby association. Reaching out to them to get them on board would be a huge boon to planning the competition. Also, raising awareness for the event as soon as possible for maximum participation and time for teams to design and build are crucial first steps for its successful implementation.
How can your idea be scaled so that it's implemented in cities around the world?
The challenges in event planning, city approval, and marketing would be just as difficult abroad. Hopefully, the successful implementation of such an event could serve as a model for soap box derbies in cities abroad.