OpenIDEO is an open innovation platform. Join our global community to solve big challenges for social good. Sign up, Login or Learn more

Occupy All Streets. (“99%” + “1%” + G*)

Amalgamate, through corwdsourcing, resources from the “1%” (funding, experience) + resources from the “99%” (drive, creativity, work) + resources from Government (oversight, security, services).

Photo of Saúl Lederman
5 4

Written by

What has become quite obvious in 2011 is the great divide that permeates the world between the “1%” with most of the money and the other “99%”. What has not been extensively evaluated is how to convert this divide into a positive bond. If managed correctly, revitalizing a city could be a perfect project to foster cooperation that would benefit all.

Occupy All Streets project (OAS).

1. Select, through crowdsourcing, the revitalization location based on the criteria discovered in this step of the process

2. Invite all major designers, urban planners and the general public to an open bidding process (just like openIDEO) to be selected as the master designer of the project. This master design will become a general framework that will come to life with the individual elements that will be created by the 99%+1%+Government.

3. With a selected and approved framework, generate another crowdsourcing and bidding process to generate ideas and solutions for each of the elements of the master framework. Consolidate partnerships between the “99%”, the “1%” and government.

Government – Benefits: Growth, city renewal, future revenue. Provide: security, services and tax incentives.

“1%” – Benefits: Tax breaks, future revenues, community involvement. Provide: Investment, experience, networking.

“99%” – Benefits: Work, patrimony. Provide: Creativity, works, drive.

Attachments (1)

5 comments

Join the conversation:

Comment
Photo of Saúl Lederman

I do agree with Johnny and Brad, the only purpose for the nomenclature used was to drive a point based on the recent events taking place worldwide. The intended idea is to highlight the differences in stimuli or incentives that would compel different groups to act for the benefit of the 100%. The 1% would more properly be referred to as founders, angel investors, venture backers... And a clear set of incentives should be targeted specifically for each group, be it tax breaks for the investors, recognition, participation on a board that drives the project froward, etc.

View all comments