SEE PROGRAM OVERVIEW (ATTACHED) FOR MORE INFORMATION
Religious missionaries go to the ends of the earth, to the most 'out-of-the-way', closed places, to share their message. Some global businesses like Coca-Cola have a footprint and supply chain in all but a couple of countries (e.g., although it is not sold in North Korea, because of sanctions, recent photos of Kim Jung-Un with Dennis Rodman depicted the Dictator enjoying a refreshing Coke). There are U.S. agents, diplomats, or soldiers on every inhabited continent on Earth.
Many of these individuals have 'seeped into the cracks' of local society and culture. At the same time, all else being equal, they are likely to be slightly more connected to the outside world than locals are. In short, they are 'One Foot In, One Foot Out' ('OFI-OFO'). I'm guessing that fewer and fewer of them are completely without access to internet, phone, or some mode of communication...precisely because of the nature of their work.
Individuals from organizations like these should be given a forum and encouraged to report even the smallest, seemingly-isolated human rights abuses/crimes. They could Raise a Red Flag a number of different ways:
- Smartphone app and website
- Toll-free number (e.g., 1-800-REDFLAG)
- Text message to toll-free number
- Visit a Red Flag outpost (which could be placed in the most volatile or at-risk cities/countries)
- Twitter hashtag
- Visit a Red Flag kiosk (Redbox, anyone??)
- 'Invisible' beacons
A centralized organization (people) could use smart technology and Big Data techniques to aggregate and look for trends among the Flags that people from these organizations Raise. The organization could then regularly communicate its findings and responses to stakeholders, including the original Flag Raisers.
Raising a Red Flag could be anonymous, so as not to expose the individual doing the reporting (or the organization of which they are a member).
So let's connect these disparate networks of well-positioned, better-connected individuals by making available to them smart, easy ways to report human rights violations...to Raise a Red Flag!
- Identify country in which to test concept (pilot)
- Conduct stakeholder analysis
- Determine data needs and assess feasibility
- Conduct detailed design of pilot (scope, duration, etc.) -- See 'Protoyping' question below for new (updated 5/17) information on a possible partnership with the Fund for Peace
- Develop report mock-ups
- Build Day One capabilities
- Execute pilot (including enrollment of Flag Raisers)