sequester carbon, beautify Sunnyvale, increase community spirit of residents.
Tell us more about your climate strategy or solution (500 words)
host professional tree planting sessions in different areas of Sunnyvale using community volunteers to perform the tree planting labor.
- move the location each session to increase coverage and residential/business participation.
- work with businesses, schools, open space management agencies, parks and recreation departments, etc. to identify and schedule areas ideal for replanting.
- candidate locations could include locations such as schools, business parking lots or landscaping, highway/roadway medians or shoulders, residential parkways, school grounds, parks, open space, flood management creeks and waterways, . . .
Describe how your solution could be a game-changer for your selected Opportunity Area (100 words)
NC State University claims: A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year and can sequester 1 ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
trees are beautiful and would increase the connection of residents/visitors to nature in addition to raising awareness of the carbon problem. a more beautiful city would also likely raise home values.
Explain how your idea would be implemented in Sunnyvale (700 words)
create a paid or volunteer group (or work with sierra club/other outside organizations) to propose sites, study feasibility, recruit volunteers, schedule date, coach volunteers through planing process.
What kind of impact will your idea have? (250 words)
raising the tree count in Sunnyvale to match the resident count would increase the number of trees from 37,000 to 155,000 (a gain of 118,000 trees). in 40 years, this would sequester 118,000 tons of carbon dioxide directly, and could indirectly motivate residents to change their lifestyles to reduce their personal emissions toward net zero accelerating the benefits.
Scale: Describe how your idea could reach a significant number of people affected. (250 words)
by moving the planted areas around, nearly every neighborhood in Sunnyvale could be planted. neighbors would spread upcoming events through word-of-mouth to increase activism among the Sunnyvale residential and business populations.
Feasibility: Where are you with understanding the feasibility of your idea? Describe what you’ve done so far and your plans. (500 words)
I participated in one of these tree planting events through an Applied Materials community outreach program at a school campus in San Jose. I thought it was magnificent.
As you consider your next steps, what kinds of help could you use? Is there a type of expertise that would be most helpful? (300 words)
need people on hand that have been trained to plant trees. need materials.
Are you willing to share your email contact information submitted on OpenIDEO with our partners?
No, please do not share my contact information
3 evaluations so far
1. From a range of 1-5, how interested/compelled are you to bring this idea into your own life or into the city?
1 - Not Interested - 0%
2 - 0%
3 - 33.3%
4 - 0%
5 - Very interested - 66.7%
2. From a range of 1-5, does this idea provide benefits aside from reducing carbon emissions?
1 - Low co-benefits - 0%
2 - 0%
3 - 0%
4 - 33.3%
5 - High co-benefits - 66.7%
3. From a scale of 1-5, what do you feel is the feasibility of this idea to work well in Sunnyvale?
1 - Not feasible - 0%
2 - 0%
3 - 33.3%
4 - 33.3%
5 - Very feasible - 33.3%
4. From a range of 1-5, what is your hunch about how much this idea will cost the Sunnyvale community to implement properly?