Physical and emotional Care to disable girls and women victims of sexual abuse in rural areas of South-Kivu, Bukavu.
CDJP-Bukavu intends to provide comprehensive physical and emotional care to the disable girls and women mostly victims of sexual abuse.
What specific problem(s) are you trying to address?
The disable girls and women living in rural areas of Bukavu are the most vulnerable in normal situation and also in war situation. Their families always neglect them, consider them useless and stigmatise them due to their disability. Mostly they are sexual abused by family and or community members. Their situation becomes worse when they are pregnant because their families abandon them in street.To help them, CDJP-Bukavu intends to provide comprehensive physical and emotional health care through the Listening Rooms, the spaces where they can come to talk about their problems and be listened to with compassion. Then provide emotional and health services according to their needs and, integrate them into their communities through activities.
What are some of your unanswered questions about the problem(s) you are working to address?
- Is it possible to one person to be safe while thousands of people around him/her are not safe?
- Where is the people’s humanity when the most vulnerable are abused in front of us?
- Why policies are sometimes discriminative to the vulnerable people?
Explain Your Idea
If the disable girls and women are welcomed in the Listening Rooms, they will feel comfortable to share their traumatic situation. This will be an opening door to provide them services to cure their physical and emotional problems. Then they will be able to work for themselves and their families and communities will find them useful. As a matter of fact, they will reduce to stigmatise them and will have positive view about them. In this way, the disable girls and women will have positive emotional life.
Name the three most important ways that your idea will address your identified problem(s).
- Implementation of Space to listen to the disable girls and women victims of sexual abuse and Recruitment of The Social Assistants to accompany the vulnerable girls and women
- Physical and emotional care to the disable girls and women
- Community awareness to adopt positive behaviours toward the disable people and punishment of the abusers.
How is your idea unique?
- The idea is unique because it seeks to find a global solution. By working with the victims, the communities and the perpetrators. In this way it contributes to prevent further problems, find solution to the problems and provide positive behaviour for the future to reduce and end the vulnerability of the disable girls and women.
What are some outstanding concerns or questions that you have regarding your idea?
How the national government can consider the situation of the disable girls and women as a priority.
Who are your end users?
The direct beneficiaries for this idea are the disable girls and women victims of sexual abuse living in the villages areas of Bukavu (1000 girls and women).
The other people are the communities where they live, their children, their families… 3,000, 000 people living in the project zone.
Where will your idea be implemented?
Democratic Republic of Congo
What is the primary type of emergency setting where your innovation would operate?
Community at risk of disaster
What is your organization's name?
Diocesan Justice and Peace Commission of Bukavu, CDJP-Bukavu
Tell us more about you.
I am Thérèse Mema Mapenzi, I work at CDJP-Bukavu in the department of Women and peace dynamic, as a Coodinator of Sexual violence programme. For 10 years, I've been working in this field and have good team in the region.
What is the current scale of your proposed innovation?
Regional - within countries in 1 geographic region
Experience in Implementation Country(ies)
Yes, for more than one year.
Expertise in Sector
Yes, for more than a year.
Democratic Republic of the Congo, South-Kivu, Bukavu
What is your organizational status?
Registered non-profit, charity, NGO, or community-based organization.
What is the maturity of your innovation?
Existing Prototype or Pilot: Tested a part of my solution with users and am iterating.