This idea has merged with P2P lending idea and evolved into the this idea, check it out!
Check this presentation
An online platform where different communities will fill a form with information about: Demographics, Climate, actual development of renewable energies in the community, etc.
HOW it works
The community will be online and can be presented with different options of possible Clean Energy Angels. When the community choose one Angel and the other angel accepts to be the angel of that community a serie of tools can be implemented online, such as the OpenIDEO platform does, by a fixed procedure with different steps.
One important thing is to define what is a community, on the beggining I was thinking to focus this just on cities. But I think this is too limited and at the end nobody will take active role on it if the city is too big.
Example: Imagine there is one neighborhood in Barcelona who wants to be off the grid by using solar energy and a biomass plant. This community can maybe found one community who already did this in the USA.
Action FieldsWhen the connection is established the exchange of knowledge and advise can happen in very different fields:
- Green companies that advise or make workshops for local companies of the area of the other community
- Legislation pressure from the angel.
- Workshops for the people who live in the community but is not actively involved.
Update 1:A digest of the comments and some ideas we had to continue refining the idea.
- Natalie Lake pointed out that maybe a problem of this idea would be how to motivate the angel communities to spend their time and efforts to help the other communities. We discussed money exchange wouldn't be a good solution but maybe a cultural exchange held by the learning community could be a good alternative. More ideas?
- Different comments also pointed out the problem of finance. Shuting posted an idea of P2P micro finance. I personally like this, since this will be a community. Today I found out a platform that is being built in Europe to make real crowdfunded projects in renewable energies checked it out here: http://citizenergy.eu/
- Another common question in the comments and maybe a next goal to define would be: What defines a community? Which parameters will link the two communities?
- Carles points out: What not using platforms like Puddle.com to finance the projects?
- Carles and I are getting in touch with the leaders of a cooperative in our home country that finance and generates their own clean energy. More info in Carles post: https://openideo.com/challenge/renewable-energy/research/catalan-cooperative-for-green-energy
We want to hear from them their opinion and maybe some guidance on how to move forward.
This update will contain a lot of information about energy cooperatives in Europe, a possible community we could use as a learner to begin, a tool for financing renewable energy projects and some thoughs I had. Let's get started!
1) Energy cooperatives community in Europe (RESCoop)
There are several cooperatives of citizens in Europe generating their own energy and getting by their own without relying on the big utilities. These cooperatives created this community online where they invite to join new communities of citizens who wants to create a cooperative and they give advice and assessement. They also developed a series of reports about the cooperatives, the differences in legislation on european countries and more.
These cooperatives are a great example of what I have as an idea for an angel.
2) A group of citizens in the island of Lanzarote (Spain) want to be off the grid with renewable energy. This community could be a great example of the learners. They have no idea yet of which technology to use or how to finance it really. Link is only in spanish here
3) Always Ongoing Sufficiency System: Another example of possible Angels. In this could be angels for individuals or a neigbourghood who wants to get off the grid but each house individually. The Fundacion Desarrollo Sostenible (Sustainable Development Foundation) has created a PV system ready to install that can be adapted to the necessities of each consumer and which allows the user to get off the grid. Link here (only in spanish)
4) Big company boosting renewable energy
ECOHZ is a nowegian compan who's main business is selling Guarantees of Origin for electricity produced by renewable energy. They have created a foundation to only finance renewable energy projects. The projects need to meet some criteria to be funded. More information in this brochure or in their website
5) Personal thoughs: After reading from many different sources I can see that people is willing to have a change but the main problem seems to be the financing, I think this idea and Shuting's idea need to be built in the next phase in just one idea, and we need to work together in how to build this platform.
The technology, the will of the people and the opportunities are ready, we just need to bring them the right tools!