OpenIDEO is an open innovation platform. Join our global community to solve big challenges for social good. Sign Up / Login or Learn more

Skills training at Panyadoli vocational technical institute in Kiryandongo refugee settlement implemented by Real Medicine Foundation.

Empowering refugees in Kiryandongo refugee settlement with practical vocational skills for improved livelihood.

Photo of daniel wakibi
4 1

Written by

From the start, Real Medicine Foundation (RMF) since 2011 has been running skills training at Panyadoli Vocational Institute, two courses were offered i.e. hair dressing and tailoring, about 170 refugees have graduated and many of them were able to get employed or started their own small scale businesses. It is estimated that around 30,000 South Sudanese refugees and another 6,000 refugees from other countries are accommodated in Kiryandongo refugee camp, while South Sudanese are still arriving every day.

To meet with the growing demand for vocational training in the settlement, RMF expressed interest to expand the number of courses offered based on the refugees’ request. And this year 2015 new courses are; Bricklaying, Carpentry, and Joinery were initiated at the institute. The first three months of skills training ended in March with 98 students attaining certificates in the four offered skills training courses. The 268 students who have attained these skills are few compared to the over 15,000 young people in the camp. Being the only available skills training center around the settlement, the number of those that have interest increases every day but due to the few available resources, some are left out because they cannot be taken up thus leaving a gap of unemployment amongst the youth who would love to get these skills.

Through skills training in the settlement, the youth, mothers, fathers not only have they learnt how to earn a living through what they have attained but also been able to change their attitude, behaviors towards vocational skills as it is taken most for drop outs which is not a correct interpretation.

Target Group:

The program is targeting refugees with any nationalities living in Kiryandongo refugee settlement as well as people of host community. The program accommodates both male and females, but of age between 15 to 40 years old.


To train the refuges with the relevant vocational training skills

Reduce dependency syndrome

To prepare refugees for world of work with entrepreneurial skills for both employment and self-employment

To prepare refugees with basic skills that they shall use for nation building when returning to their home country

Duration and Mode of Training

The duration of each course is three months. Each course is composed of both theory and practical modules. The theory modules cover 30% of total hours, while the practical modules cover the rest of 70% of the total training hours.

Structure of curriculum

The curriculum is organized on a modular basis and each module is broken down into units for purposes of managing its implementation.

The modules are categorized into three groups;

General theoretical modules

This category is for those modules which cut across all disciplines. These modules are intended to give trainees those attributes which do not only allow them opportunities to develop skills for effective self management but also management of others and leadership.

Practical modules

These do not only provide the foundation of the skills but also form the core of the skills development process.

Applied practice.

This provides an opportunity to trainees to practice on live jobs which may be in form of production or project work. Such work will have a definite objective so that trainees have something to aim at. This will give them an opportunity to practice work independently.

Therefore Real Medicine Foundation (RMF) has continued to support the refugees in Kiryandongo refugee settlement in skills training an initiative that has seen many refugees start up their own business hence earning a living so that they can be able to sustain themselves thus increasing on their household income and others going back to their countries as instructors. The benefits of skills training are endless.

Giving refugee knowledge and skills to enhance his or her livelihood is a tool that can improve their way of living whether in the host country or when they return to their country of origin as they can be able to start something on their own and stop being dependents.


Join the conversation:

Photo of Dave Levin

Very cool and important work!

Photo of daniel wakibi

Thanks Dave

View all comments