Communal Empowerment through Communal Education.
Community engagement by University students in refugee camps as teacher assistants , mentors and training resource person.
A young engineer teaching mathematics to a young girl in an underprivileged area surrounding his university. As the girl grows in knowledge so does he. Communal growth.
Our volunteer ( University student) assisting a teacher in class of a underprivileged schools of the suburbs.
Sagheer , a sophomore , is teaching students basic mathematics in a low funded , over populated schools in the surrounding area of his university on a weekly visit.
Shajia , a junior in Electrical Engineering , checking out written work of the student in a small school of a rural area where the student to child ratio is 50+ to 1.
EXPLAIN YOUR IDEA
As a solution to refugee camp basic education problem, we propose to mobilize the local university students of that area. They must uphold the responsibility of the refugees and assist the government and philanthropic organizations working there so that together as one community they are able to fight back. The University students will distribute its volunteers into three task forces,
1) First will visit on a daily basis where volunteers will rotate weekly and teach children all of their courses and assist the teachers. (reduce teacher to student ratio, local university students are diverse in language)
2) Second will visit on weekends and carry out character and personality building activities along with healthy recreational aspects (Arts and crafts, theatre, story telling, sculpturing, painting etc) resulting trauma free children.
3) Third team will visit the camps at their ease and carry out skill development and training workshops in order to mobilize the camps and make them self sustainable. Training on workshop tools and wood carving. (more teachers and workers). This solution was designed keeping the camps for Internally displaced people in Bannu, Pakistan
1) Underprivileged students of refugee camps.
2) People that have the knowledge to teach but lack teaching skills.
3) Students with skill development that makes them better equipped to survive in harsh conditions.
SKILL SHARE (optional)
English Composition and Writing,
Innovative teaching techniques for children,
Fun raising are the skills that we have to offer.
TELL US A BIT ABOUT YOURSELF
Team Umeed consist of Students of INSTITUTE OF SPACE TECHNOLOGY, ISLAMABAD, PAKISTAN. We carry out community service projects ranging Disaster Management and Relief, Teacher Assistance, Schools renovation, Stationary and Sweater distribution, Space exploration and autism awareness events etc.
IS THIS AN IDEA THAT YOU OR YOUR ORGANIZATION WOULD LIKE TO TAKE FORWARD?
Yes, I have implementation capacity and am interested in and able to make this idea real in my community.