Ciela Plata: 'Sky to Plate'
Urban rooftop farming components made of compression-molded Regrind. The urban farm movement is gaining ground, increasing infrastructure opportunities for Regrind in circular material economies.
We're overfed and under-nourished. The 'Western Diet' is known to dramatically increase rates of:
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Heart disease
(Sources: Baum & Whiteman, 2018; O'Neil, 2017)
In the next three decades:
- 70% of the world's population will live in cities
- Our food production will increase greenhouse gases by 80%
Many of us have started making healthier food choices, opting for a higher percentage of organic plant-based foods. Already, we've seen a 12x increase in sales of organic foods over the past 20 years (to $43 billion in 2015 alone).
But the industrial agriculture behind the 'Western Diet' continues to prioritize refined sugars, factory farmed animal products, processed grains and fast food. Thus, organic food production lags significantly behind consumer demand.
Urban rooftop farming can use thousands of acres of our built environment to bring more local, organic food production to more of us in many climates and geographies around the world.
Ciela Plata aspires to empower scale in urban organic food production with rooftop organic vegetable farming components made of compression-molded Regrind:
- Safety surfaces for all-weather footing
- Seamless molded planter box liners
- Walkway matting to preserve roof integrity
- All-weather work surfaces
- Seamless molded liners for storage, transplant trays & transport totes
- Recapture trays for rain & irrigation runoff
Ciela Plata sees a path to scale a local urban food supply, while reducing long-chain logistics, GMOs and diet-driven illness.
Ciela Plata sees opportunity to fold our organic past into our urban present to improve our future health.