Rather than designing a next generation cup we have decided to create a multi-sided marketplace for next generation cups. The marketplace would also host a wider range of consumer products made from upcycling or recycled material.
The marketplace has a physical as well as digital presence. The physical touchpoints are located in all the places where single-use products are most frequently used. For example coffee shops and fast food outlets.
The physical units will be in the form of merchandising furniture with integrated digital touch screens that allow consumers to search for an even wider range of sustainable products.
The units also serve to receive waste products from consumers for upcycling. Thus creating a circular economy.
The system creates awareness of the environmental issues caused by plastic waste through a new brand and digital signage content that is played when consumers are not interacting with the touch screens.
Goal: Increase the value of waste by creating demand through direct upcycling into Makers products.
Our in store upcycling marketplace brings together the following groups to achieve the goal:
- Waste recyclers
- Makers (who upcycle using 100% sustainable products)
- Local government / authorities
- Retailers (with physical global store networks)
- Consumers (who want 100% sustainable products)
- Disintermediate waste recycling incumbents
- Transition Makers into vertically integrated businesses that replace the waste recycling incumbents
- Makers can source a wide range of sustainable materials on the platform to make their products from
- Provide retailers with a physical merchandising unit + upcycling installation, using existing digital infrastructure
- Provide consumers more choice of products e.g. more than one fibre-cup alternative to choose from
- Promote local connections and community
- Reduce carbon footprint by avoiding online transactions and delivery
- Use local micro warehousing platforms near retail locations to store Maker products
- Reduce local government contribution and and retailer recycling costs
- Raise awareness of waste recycling in situ of the place of consumption