Frondplus is 100% compostable, chemical free and cost effective plant based tableware made from agricultural wastes (palm frond). The product range consist of cup, lid, sleeve, straws, cutlery, coffee stirrer and chopsticks.
Palm frond is one of the largest non-value agricultural wastes in Malaysia where it just left in the farm as soil amendment. We come across palm frond as raw material to make compostable cup and cup system three years ago when we sourced cost effective natural materials to make compostable chopsticks to replace current wood and bamboo chopsticks that will lead to deforestation according to the China press media in 2013. We found out that the stem of the palm frond has very similar properties with bamboo and wood, water and heat resistant through patented processing method after I succeeded produce my compostable chopsticks. We started to develop more products based of palm fronds like cup, lid and straws from that process. Our first phase of products (straws and cutlery) will be available in Malaysia market early 2019 while our cup and cup system are still in prototype stages.
How it works
First, we will collect palm frond from sustainable certified coconut and oil palm smallholders. Then, we will prepare the raw materials by separating the leaves and cutting the stem of the frond according to the parameter that required to make into each products. The leaves will be used to make drinking straws and the stem will used to make cup, lid and sleeve. After that, all the raw materials will be going through our patent pending processing like cleaning, treatment and drying process. There are no chemical being added during the process. Finally, we will produce our chemical free, natural colour and texture products using mechanical process through our self-designed machineries. Our unfilled products’ shelf life will be about 1 year.
Competitive Advantages compared to other alternatives:
- Our raw material (palm frond) is abundant, low cost and available for us anytime anywhere in Malaysia, whereas plastic cup is made from unrenewable resources, tree used to make paper need 8-20 years to grow and bioplastic is made from food sources like corn-starch.
- Frondplus cup is chemical free and only required mechanical processing.
- Frondplus cup is water and heat resistant without liner. The temperature range can up to 80˚C right now. (We still in the middle of process to achieve 100˚C).
- We use eco-friendly and cost effective hot stamping process rather than ink printing for label on the cup & sleeve as certain inks may impact on its compostablility.
- All of our products can be disposed directly with food waste and decomposed become bio-fertilizer.