Monredia's 21st Century Recoverable Cup is designed for a future based on digital consumerism and the circular economy. The cup will keep many key features of the modern hot/cold fiber cup such as a poly film lining to maintain current safety and performance standards. However, new features listed below will make for a more engaging consumer experience that leads to behavioral change and recoverability:
- New Poly Layer - Inserted between the current cup's inner poly lining (PE-1) and outer fiber layer, it will be a thicker poly layer (PE-2, 1.5mm) that connects to an exterior flap on the cup's base and features printed messaging on the cup's interior that reminds the consumer to 'recycle & redeem'.
- Exterior flap for disassembly - Connected to the cup's inner PE-2 poly layer, this exterior flap will allow consumers to disassemble their cups after consumption of a beverage via twisting the flap to dislodge the PE-1 and PE-2 layers from the paper layer.
- In-store recycling infrastructure - To make customers co-agents in the drive to a circular economy, the post-consumption experience must be as appealing as the pre-consumption experience, if not more so. With branded signage, LCD screens and a rotating machine arm to aid in disassembly, consumers will be incentivized to participate in the recovery process at in-store stations. Scanners at stations will enable those who recycle to redeem loyalty points or recover a deposit at sale. (Note: Customers can also disassemble cups by hand and recycle at home/work using an app to track behavior.)
- Digital QR codes on surface - The lids and cups will feature QR codes on the exterior and give customers an incentive to recycle and retailers an opportunity to gather data on post-consumption patterns. This will enable tailored messaging for post-consumption campaigns.
- Improved holding and drinking experience - Cups will feature slight indentations with ribbing for an improved holding experience. The drinking experience will be improved via two openings of different sizes, a tab for securing each opening option, and 'eyes' to remind users of their duty to recycle.