To produce the proposed cup rice husk are being grounded and mixed with small amount of food starch. The mix is moisturized and molded into shapes of future cups. The molds are then put through hot press machine that operates in the temperature range of 120-140 degrees Celcius (248-284 degrees Fahrenheit) and exerts pressure force of around 150 tons.
- The cups made this way are thicker compared to traditional fiber cups to cover up for greater fragility of the material from rice husk.
- The proposed cup is completely safe and has no negative effects on our health. This includes safe use of this material in storing foods for children.
- A cup fully degrades in soil after several months. If burned, approximately 20% of the cup is left in ashes.
- Cups and other containers made from this material can withstand temperatures of up to 100 degrees.
- Cups can withstand contact with liquids or fats for up to three hours.