Giving parents and children a mobile tool to educate and empower them to get immunised, track their progress and re-communicate to them.
Describe what you intend to do and how you'll do it in one to two sentences (required 350 Characters)
In Phase One we partner with the health ministry, stakeholders and mobile networks to ensure database integration and free to access; while conducting a formative assessment. In Phase Two we design the campaign, messaging and materials; and custom-build the mobile platform; and then with this structure completed in Phase Three, we launch.
Explain the innovation (2,500 characters)
Mobile tech cuts across different touchpoints. Similarly, our solution can deliver on different GAVI objectives:
1. Problem we aim to solve: To reach mobile urban populations; identify under-immunised urban areas; reduce low risk and low recall perception; and ensure they take their children to get vaccinated; and tell others!
2. Beneficiaries: children who get vaccinated and tracked through; parents who are empowered and educated to make this possible using the platform; and the Ministry of Health and stakeholders better able to reach their immunisation targets and gain accurate data enabling them to plan and adjust their response, and in real-time.
3. Description: we use accessible mobile technology to empower parents by placing health decisions for their children in their hands. The platform will inform them, incentivise them and track the resulting immunisations, with this data shared with health partners to gain an accurate view of urban immunisations.
4. How it works: a free-to-access mobile platform targeting parents with information, record immunisations and retarget with follow-up messages using accessible mobile tech (mobile web browser, SMS and Unstructured Supplementary Service Data or USSD) targeting parents with information and retarget with follow up messages. The platform can record and reward vaccinations with mobile airtime credit – parents receive and enter a fraud-proof unique redemption code at immunisation centre). Incentivised peer-to-peer referrals will drive awareness and immunisations. We can also geo-target populations with messages containing calls-to-action to register; answer multiple choice survey questions; manage mobile airtime incentives. All this data will be accessible to GAVI and health partners via a live dashboard connected to the database.
5. Track record: we have used the same mechanics in a commercial/campaign setting in developing world markets to drive millions of incentivised consumer actions and understanding the motivations behind them, are confident of replicating and scaling. We have also used the same mobile platform to survey individuals for KAPB research by universities and donor agencies.
6. How it can accelerate urban immunisations: We will scale the access of GAVI and related messages to its key populations by giving them the necessary information and incentives both to take action and via peer-to-peer sharing, to change the behaviour of peer parents – to get them to follow their example.
Which part(s) of the world does this innovation target?
We will target Kenya as the pilot country, since our partner Exp is based in this country and is currently working there on an immunisation project for UNICEF. Our solution is suited to any urban area of the developing world where people are: physically mobile and respond to incremental incentives.
Who will work alongside your organization in the project idea? (1,000 characters)
“To power change, let’s use the change people have in their hands: mobile.”
Exp, are social and behavioural change marketing specialists who have executed large projects for national and multinational clients throughout Africa.
Silverstone Solutions provides the mobile tech. and operate throughout Africa and the Caribbean building and engaging large-scale communities using popular mobile tech for clients.
Combined Exp brings behaviour change expertise, and Silverstone the technology that empowers us to do so at scale – to reach GAVI objectives.
Silverstone has formed partnerships with mobile networks to make its platform free-to-access for both commercial and CSR purposes. We would seek to partner with individual networks, and ideally the International Telecommunications (ITU), previously engaged by GAVI.
Everyday people and communities will become vital agents of change using the platform – educating themselves and persuading others to take action.
How is your idea unique? (750 characters)
Our partnerships with mobile networks create a unique structure to deliver at scale – making our platform which combines accessible mobile tech free to access. This enables us to deliver campaigns with partners, such as GAVI, at scale, empowering users to take action. (Please see user experience visuals that we uploaded).
From their actions we (i) gather contact details (ii) gather qualitative data from mobile surveys (iii) redeem actions, such as immunisations (iv) issue mobile airtime incentives and (v) refer and register their peers and (vi) re-communicate based upon individual user activity and (v) monitor, analyse and adjust vaccination programmes based upon real-time data.
What is the name of your organization
Explain your organization (250 characters)
Silverstone Solutions: use accessible mobile tech to help organisations engage & build communities for business or social good.
Exp: Take target audience needs & intersect with the intervention need. Exp build a bottom up target-centric programme.
Type of Submitter
We are a Private sector corporation
Gender and Diversity (500 characters)
Both Silverstone and Exp are fully committed to ensuring diversity and gender parity. We are multi-national, multi-cultural organisations with staff located globally, serving English, French, Spanish, Swahili, Creole and other markets.
Organization Location (less than 250 Characters)
Silverstone Solutions are based in Johannesburg, South Africa. Info & case studies are on our website: silverstonecis.com. Exp has offices in Kenya, Ghana & South Africa. More information & case studies are on our website: expsocialmarketing.com
Size of organization (number of employees):
Scale of organizational work
Regional (reach within 1 geographic region)
Applying to Gavi INFUSE
Referred by a friend / colleague