One computer on a desk in a small room is enough to start, so it is cheap and easy to replicate in many villages.
The staff should be trained w skills that is like a combination of teacher, journalist, lawyer, financial advisor, mentor, translator.
The staff could help create an Etsy-account (or a presence in any other online web shop) for each individual or make one account per each office/village, or only one for the whole chain of these internet shops, and perhaps also include all entrepreneurs attached to the Mobile Training Office...-concept. (for more exclusive and unique artworks perhaps an auction-site is better option to have presence on? so the customers can decide on correct price level)
If all individuals want their own Etsy-account, you should make a central portal or group-page for all the involved Caldas-entrepreneurs, so as to create an entrypoint for international clients to find all that are connected to this project in the same place.
When a customer buys something online, the staff can send out a text message to the producer, with postal address and brief info to send the item with post to the buyer. Payment could be managed and centralized through one central PayPal-account or similar service that the staff are managing, and distributing the payment in cash, retroactively next time the seller comes into the shop.
(Perhaps we could get Paypal as sponsor to this concept, to make their fees lower for this purpose?)
At least 50% of the time-slots should be reserved for women. If there is not enough interest from them, we could give some incentives to the males in order to trying to encourage their mother/wife/sister to try it.
What online-purposes is meant to use this office for :
- Selling handicrafts and art work on web shops like Etsy and similar. Finding contacts with buyers in foreign countries in different ways (small-scale and large-scale)
- Informal Education for adults, Fact-finding : farming, home-business, food and health resources...
- searching for jobs that is possible to do online or remotely.
- Finding available micro-credit-schemes.
- Connecting with other Colombian/south-american artisans and craftsmen to make it possible for them to collaborate on spreading/sharing skills and knowledge about DIY-projects and new lowcost business models and viral marketing...
- Making users contribute with their expert knowledge to wikis to help other regions of the developing (spanish-speaking) world. Involve them more in current technology and international development...
- Potential to hold a wide variety of regular courses/classes/meetings/workshops/discussion groups on entrepreneurialism, small-business, nutrition, health, HIV-prevention, alcohol and drug abuse. also local politics, election campaigns...
- Coordinate group sessions to collaborate on ; writing articles for local/international newspapers; designing clothes, handicrafts, starting up farms together in teams...
- Having video camera to be able to record above-mentioned group meetings to put up on internet distribution to all other regional offices in this concept. Also for documenting local traditional textiles design/patterns and similar, for preserving online.
- Set up a billboard in each office, to make people advertise locally for wanted/available jobs/skills leasing of equipment/tools. (like an informal job agency, poolsharing of resources)
- Having some packaging material handy for those that sell products online
(see also " Caldas Coffee Exchange" from Avi)
(see also " Social Business Times" from Meena)
(see also " Instructional Videos..." from Avi)
(see also " Caldas Village Construction..." from Avi and Marcin Jakubowski)
(see also " Mobile Training Office..." from Nathan)
disclaimer : if there are existing internet cafés, the model must be very careful to not out-compete those businesses.
Please feel free to add ideas, comments, feedback below, i appreciate all of your inolvement!