This a a summary of the research posts I read in the OpenIDEO.
Some links are disabled when I copied it here. There's a pdf attached at the end of article where you can find all abled links.
What is the problem?
College is not hardly affordable for both middle class, lower income population and minorities (such as black population and immigrants)
- Young Immigrant student experience - After moving to the U.S at the early age of 7 with my family, college affordability and access was not a main priority.
Challenges: Is this the right problem or right question to ask?
“Perhaps the issue with education is not the cost, but the value it delivered"
Maybe to lower the cost, we have to first innovates the hiring system that based on degree and grades.
- Are we asking the right Questions? - After reviewing everyone's information, it makes me wonder if this challenge is asking the right questions?
BREAK IT DOWN - Agents, Sub-problems, Causes and Constraints in the system
Causes of high cost
highly-paid administrators (not faculty); Facility maintenance; Demand is too high; Subsidy is shrinking
- OK, so Why is College so Expensive - Let's take a look at the realities and reasons behind the explosion of tuition costs.
"Schools end up spending a lot on recreational facilities, fancier buildings; schools are having to compete with the private sector over talented professors; Information regarding quality of colleges and a student's fit within can be extremely hard to obtain; sticker price - a more expensive school must mean that the quality of education is better."
- Baumol cost disease and Bowen hypothesis - A look at two conflicting theories on why colleges are spending more per student over time
Communication of cost is not transparent
- I am in the middle of the Ocean. Where to Go? - Communication Problems in Education Sector
Wrong decisions are costly - lack of support system for college students to making right decisions?
- Uncertainty & Indecision - Not knowing what path will lead to the best return could lead to the wrong decision or no decision at all.
Constraints of lowering the cost
lower the cost will devalue the education?
- We Want Education To Be Expensive - Learning can be done incredibly cheaply, the reason why it's not is because we don't value it if it comes easily.
"Money is not the only thing keeping first-generation students from seeking degrees. Culture plays a role as well."
- Where Free College Isn't an Cure-all - Article from the Atlantic on free college and culture in Norway
If you don't go to college or do it free online, you will lose the value of networking with awesome people.
- Social Costs of Paying for College - I propose that there are social costs to certain methods of paying for college.
EXISTING AND POTENTIAL SOLUTIONS
How to Lower the Bar (cost) in Existing System
Go Global: Cheaper and better education in other countries
- Heart Surgery in India for $1,583 Costs $106,385 in U.S. Why not going to India for college? - If we trust Indian physicians for heart surgery, why not their college professors for our kids - and pay a much much lower bill?
- Here’s What College Education Costs Students Around the World - Business Insider Article
Government Subsidy, company sponsorship and increased grants
- New Mexico: The State with the Lowest Debt Level for College Students. - New Mexico is the only state where the average college student has less than $20,000 of debt when a student graduates.
- German Schools - They are free and pay through tax
- Rethinking student housing and rent - Thinking beyond the usual student housing procedures of rent, utilities and other expenses.
Online Education cuts off the cost of physical facilities (e.x. campus)
- University of The People: Allowing Everyone an Education- University of the People allows anyone qualified to receive an education to receive a college education.
Break education into pieces that are more flexible to location and time constraints
- How Nanodegrees can democratize tech education - Nanodegrees aren’t much different than college; the end result of the education is pointing you toward a career.
Mixture of online and offline: mitigate the effect of cost and the lack of community
- The Tech Elite’s Quest to Reinvent School in Its Own Image - Article on Sal Kahn's lab school aimed at developing a new model of learning that can be exported to other schools around the world.
How to Help People Reach the Bar (cost) in Existing System
Make financial information and resource necessary to find an affordable path available to students
- Approaching College Affordability: Meet Students Where They Are - A student-centered approach towards college affordability leads to impact, trust and empowerment.
Stratified the system and make vocational education more accessible to low income students
- Organizational Support - How companies can train and provide vocational education to students from low income communities to train?
How to Shift the Cost in Existing System or Make it more Efficient
Community college saves you money
- Taking Advantage of 2 Year Public Community College - For people who are unable to immediately afford a full time 4 year degree, look into taking advantage of 2 year public community colleges.
Learn the basics on your own and use colleges as add-ons
- Freemium Education - Start off Free and build your degree with add-ons.
Your peers pay for you as an investment
- Profit with purpose - peer to peer marketplace to fund education - A unique model where you invest in another's education for a % of future earnings
On-demand school - drop in when there’re spots to learn
- Space-Available Tuition Discounts - Fill the Freshman class with last-minute discounts.
Break down education into selectable pieces
- Colleges as education service providers - Why should we buy a pre-fixed 4-year package from a single vendor?
Train people with skills that employers actually want
- Competency-Based Higher Ed - Competency-based higher education offers a debt-free pathway to graduation.
Industries pay for the education
- University and Industry Collaboration - Paid Projects for Industry done by Students
Reinvent Higher Education
While we are trying to lower the cost from all aspects in current institutions, we can try a different path: by keeping the low-cost option in mind, we should focus on how to reinvent the concept of higher education. What should education be like?
- Reverse Innovation - Let's design high quality education that is affordable
- Minerva - Reinvent higher education while lower the cost - It combines online curriculum and offline experience, cuts off facilities and administration cost, goes global and makes it worth.
- Open loop University - A concept raised by Stanford D. School to imagine a whole new higher education model
- Homeschooling, a family thing! - An insight from a friend who was homeschooled
I only selected a few articles because a lot of them covered the same topic. If you think there’s an aspect that I didn’t touch on in this article or there’s a great contribution I missed, please comment below and I will add them in. Hope this will provide a clearer picture of the problem before we go into the ideation phrase. Thanks everyone for contributing the sources!