Children are the future. They must be nourished both physically and mentally to bring out the best in them. While feeding them veggies and nutritious food, it is equally important if not more to take care of their mental health. A child should be confident in whatever they do. A sense of self can do wonders for the child, they can be successful adults with a strong personality. A parent can play the largest role in making the child more confident about themselves. Parenting is not easy and everyone needs help here and there. To help parents in need here are some tactics that child psychologists swear by:
- Don’t control. Your child is an individual being with a mind of their own. Don’t dictate your child on every single thing. Give your child the ability to choose, it doesn’t have to be big choices simple ones will do. Ask them to pick out their outfit for the day, this will give them a sense of control. This certainly does not mean that you let them do how they please, you can let them out the door if they are dressed like Willy Wonka. You must coach them when they are in the process of making decisions. Counsel them, make them see the pros and cons of every option available and then ask them to choose what’s best. You may have to keep your sense of control aside to make your child independent.
- Treat mistakes as mistakes. Your children are children not mature adults, do not be harsh on them for the smallest mistakes. This will shatter their confidence and they will be lead to the belief that they shouldn’t do things on their own and will ask for constant validation. If a folly is made, sit down with your child and talk to them about it. Ask them how they made a mistake and what could be done to fix it. Do not scream at them, keep a tap on your anger as it can trigger insecurities.
- Do not pester your child to be the best. Your child is not a racehorse. Every child is different with different abilities not all can score an A- on a math test. It’s okay if your child is not able to solve algebraic equations easily, look for things they are good at and work alongside your child to sharpen those skills. This will give your child a sense of accomplishment, and they will also be pleased that their parents support them.
- Don’t baby your child, our child will grow and do things that don’t qualify as safe to you. Let them leave the safety net and take on risky challenges. You think that ride is dangerous even though its age appropriate, let your child go on it. To be confident your child needs to take on challenges and experience things for themselves.
- Scaffold your child through different tasks that are doable. Provide them with a set of instructions and ask them to do it. This will give your child the confidence to try and do new things. With every success, they will gain more and more self-confidence
- Everyone needs praise, compliment your child’s effort. Do not go overboard, praise your child appropriately and where it is needed. Over-praising them will make them lose the value of praise as they will be getting it for every small thing they do. Praise them when you know they really have worked hard.
- Use encouragement as your biggest tool. Your children demand validation and would like being told that they can do it. This will show that their parents trust their ability. Their motivation will be fueled by this and they will take on whatever challenges that come their way. Do not have a punitive voice and over critical at this stage critique is not fruitful, use analytical tones. Work as a team and ensure your child that you are always there watching from the sidelines.
- Failure is inevitable, make your child understand that life comes with failures and it can’t be helped. However, you can turn a failure into something that will benefit you in the longer run. You can learn a lot from the mistakes you make. You can identify your lacking and work hard on them.
- Give your child the gift of positivity, the last thing your child needs is pessimism. Talk to them about being able to do things rather than deeming them too difficult. Give them the hope needed when they are demotivated. If the failed a class, tell them that they must work harder next time and they will surely succeed.
- Comparison of children is sinful, do not ever compare your child to other children. Don’t tell them that the daughter of your friend got a higher grade and that they should be more like her. Comparing your child can have deteriorating effects on your child’s confidence. They will start doubting themselves.
- Talk about your child to others in a positive manner. Do not put out your child’s weakness in front of others. Talk highly of them, they might be listening. Seeing this can impact their confidence greatly because they know you mean it and are not just saying this to make them feel better.
- Sarcasm is not for the little ones. Sarcasm maybe your routine but for the children it's hazardous. The child may not understand it and take it as a letdown. They are discouraged if they meet with a sarcastic comment on their efforts. This in the long term can make them rebellious too.
- When showing disapproval of their actions, make sure they know it’s not disapproval of them but their actions and choices.
- The most important thing you can do as a parent is to get involved in the life of your child. Demolish all walls in-between and get close, listen to their stories and respond to show interest. Ask them relevant questions and let them talk to their heart’s content. If they seem troubled, don’t ignore it. Try to counsel them and find out what is wrong. Show them you care.
- Lastly, children are highly impressionable, they learn what they see. To make them confident you need to be confident yourself. You can only preach what you practice. Give them an example to learn from.
Child psychology is a vast field and there has been a lot of research conducted on how children behave and why do they do so. Students who specialize in child psychology have a lot to study, they have to review works of different child psychologists like Skinner and Piaget. These psychology students need to have many skills in order to complete their degree one of the many crucial skills is technical writing. Students face a lot of difficulties when asked to do course works such as assignments, dissertations, and essays. These require students to able to follow all technicalities of writing. Not many are apt at it and spend days worrying about writing them correctly. To help them there are many academic writing services. All they need to do is find the best essay help online and they are good to go.