Who is the target audience for your idea and how does it reimagine the cost of college?
What if all children had a 529 college savings account opened for them, and the government seeded the accounts for low-income families? Parent employer companies could double parent savings through donation mating programs. Family and friends could give to the account for birthdays and holidays. These cumulative savings could change the mindset of low-income families as their children enter the teenage years and make college more realistic.
What early, lightweight experiment can you try out in your own community to find out if the idea will meet your expectations?
- Ask local businesses and employees about donation matching programs.
- Speak with The Gift of Education business, a local online gift registry.
- Research California 529 plans and how they could be more effective and widespread
What skills, input or guidance from the OpenIDEO community would be most helpful in building out or refining your idea?
How could we practically test this idea?
This idea emerged from
8 evaluations so far
1. Does this idea make college more accessible, especially for low income students in the U.S.?
Yes! - 25%
To a degree - 75%
Not that I can tell - 0%
2. Does this idea think beyond current cost structures of college and activate new sectors or partners?