Growing vegetables can be overwhelming, but the Tomatero application makes it simple and fun! All you need is a container or a small plot of land, a water source, and a little time.
Tomatero guides you from seed to harvest every step of the way. You’ll learn how to grow a tomato through engaging mini-games that educate and test your gardening skills. You can challenge yourself to achieve new high scores or compete with friends and neighbors to earn badges that keep you motivated.
This idea went through different iterations to be where it is now, thanks to the tremendous input from and collaboration with the OpenIDEO community.
The idea started as a "technology toolkit" for community gardeners to record and upload gardening and cooking photos and videos, but it quickly evolved from talking to neighbors and friends, shooting a video at Common Ground Garden, conversing with my team and mentor, and showing people my prototype and observing what questions they asked or hearing what they liked or thought was cool. Feedback was truly a gift throughout this entire experience. Every time I asked a question, I received more than an answer. I received valuable insights that pushed my idea forward when I felt stuck. I learned about different people, companies, and organizations doing amazing things with community gardening and education in their local communities.
In the next six months, my goal is to:
1. Identify the core audience - Who is this app for?
2. Get feedback and validate the idea - What are the mini-games? How does community fit in? What kind of content does the app use and where do I source it from (or do I need to create it)?
3. Develop a video explaining the app through a couple key screens.
4. Get the app development pre-funded by NBCUniversal, NBCUniverso, and Telemundo (or possibly a Kickstarter/Indiegogo)
I’m inviting the OpenIDEO community for your help and support! Specific areas/skills I’m looking for:
- Software / Web Development - app mini-games, content, notifications, flow
- Feedback / Evaluation - validation with core audience
- Writing / Editing - app copy
- Visual Storytelling - video storyboard
- Design Support - app design
- Partnerships - content, schools, marketing partners