Upon onboarding, team member takes the 5 languages of Love quiz by Gary Chapman. The results rank of verbal affirmation, act of service, quality time, and gifts(excl. touch) will show up in company’s intranet profile page, or on a separate virtual profile page accessible to everyone in the firm.
Based on the understanding of team/individual’s love language, here are some examples of actions to employ as a starting point. However, teams are encouraged to come up with their own practices:
WORDS OF AFFIRMATION
- Acknowledgement on a platform for teams (i.e. Yammer) with focus on the growth of employee (ex: you did well on x, I see a huge improvement on y, and this contributed to the company in y way. Teams can decide to opt in/out, as well as the frequency as they see appropriate for their team structure/operations.
- Prior to team meetings, the team come up with one overarching gratitude or discuss what is top of mind in perspective changing topics.
- Say Grateful’s (3 things you are grateful for) before eating, can say to self if alone, or share with someone near you if eating in a group.
ACT OF SERVICE
- Partner with companies like Envest to allow employees time to volunteer with their skillsets to 1.attribute meaningfully to others, 2. grow skillsets, 3. gain perspective; this will circulate act of service to others in the system
- Invest in a pioneering group of gratitude network; train them in positive behavior; within network find people who exhibit gratitude behavior for training and spreading
- One on one coaching sessions between managers/team members
- Set up dyads for quality time discussions on personal sharing/stress release/etc.
- Set up growth buddy in organization to keep each other accountable
- Organized offsite trips between teams/leadership into nature to work through arduous tasks and get to know people on deeper level, gain perspective on coworkers as humans
- give time off when a group/team/person has achieved x, y, z, (ex: when a worker finished an assignment and generated 5x revenue, give the option to take Friday afternoon off to rest)
- quarterly celebrating of corpsgiving- an offshoot of thanksgiving; sharing of food, discussions on gratitude, feeling connected with fellow coworkers