Key facts about food waste issue in NYC for business
- Only 2% of food waste from NYC businesses are recycled or reused.
- 98% of food waste from NYC businesses not recycled are exported to landfills in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Virginia, and South Carolina which cost expenses from tax payers.
- Businesses in NYC spends more than $800 million a year, 2% of yearly sales, for waste collection and disposal.
- Businesses in NYC generates 1 million tons a year.
Interview questionnaires to food business owners
- What are procedures for food waste management in your business?
- Do you separate regular food waste, recyclable, and reusable food waste?
- What are biggest concerns and barriers to food waste management in your business?
- Are you aware of any public programs, regulations, policies relevant to your business?
- How many trash bins in your business and why did you place in certain locations?
- What part of food waste management do you wish to improve most?
: observation photos and diagrams created after research and observation are attached above.
- Streamline of waste from ingredient to landfill are extremely complicated and involved multiple stakeholders
- Benefits to owners of small restaurant has to be clear and economically beneficial in the short-term
- Kitchens are very busy and dynamic environment so food waste management process should be time efficient
- Educating and training owners and employees takes time and endurance