This is amazing. http://foodbusinessschool.org
Culinary Institute of America (CIA)—the world’s leading not-for-profit food college.
The Food Business School
The Food Business School enables and empowers entrepreneurial leaders to design, deliver and lead transformative innovations that address the world’s most pressing food challenges—and its greatest business opportunities
CIA is responsible for training the next generation of chefs. Given this, I believe they are in the best position to transform our relationship with food. They will do this by integrating into their curriculum:
Programs: 3 program formats emphasize action-based learning, where experience and practice are key.
- Online: Inspiring and skill-enhancing, our courses deepen essential knowledge and understanding of the global food system.
- Innovation Intensives: Designed for food business pros, intensives give crucial time and space, in a dynamic setting, to focus on strategic initiatives.
- Venture Innovation Program: A hands-on and practical accelerator program in food entrepreneurship and innovation mastery.
Why it's Important:
This is the first online learning platform I have seen around food learning. They offer courses such as:
- Sustainable Supply Chains: Building Food Supply Chains for a Sustainable Future will empower you to take a proactive approach on this complex issue and help you create an actionable blueprint for creating your business’ procurement pathway.
- Ethical Leadership in Food Business: Food systems exist at the nexus of human health and environmental sustainability.
- And more to come!
Challenges FBS will Face:
There are numerous challenges the Culinary Institute of America will face in scaling Food Business School - certainly more than two. These are outlined below:
- The likelihood of success depends largely on how the school is accepted beyond CIA. Will academic institutions (K - 12 and Higher Ed), local governments, and food organizations (restaurants to grocery chains) agree to hire students who take courses at FBS?
- The next challenge is sustainability. Will CIA FBS be able to convince corporations and organizations to adopt practices they are teaching.
I believe this is currently the best approach to dramatically reducing waste by transforming our relationship with food. Why? CIA FBS is the first to take food education and bring it to the mainstream. If they can start this process earlier (youth and under) we can change mindsets about food and food waste much sooner.