* Optimeal could start out as a campaign/initiative that engages people to change eating/grocery shopping habits for one week, promising people to save money, reduce waste and save time if they give it a try.
* A choice of meal plans would be offered through an app and direct order of calculated amount of groceries for the household using existing supermarket home delivery services. Recipes included.
* A number of similar services exist ie. http://www.cooksmarts.com/
Optimeal focus would be on creating meal plans that are complete - all meals and snacks during the week, not based on restrictive diet or creating a culinary experience - plans would be based on customers ACTUAL eating habits with advice for improvement if they wish.
* Redefining Optimeal as a web service only while using existing supermarket home delivery services
* Big Data and Artificial Intelligence hold great promise in this field and should be incorporated and exploited greatly - Imagine AI assistant that helps you with cooking questions or gives you advice for leftovers.
* Gamification - incentives like discounts as a reward for consumers that managed to reduce waste or start eating healthier
* Healthcare industry - opportunity for health insurance companies to promote healthy lifestyle in order to reduce costs and attribute to improving public health
Technology today can make it a lot easier for us to transform our buying and eating habits in developed countries, at the consumer and retail level. People in cities who wish to eat healthier and reduce waste often find it requires putting in a lot of time and effort to plan out meals, shop, cook and manage what groceries to buy and when.
Imagine an easier way for a grocery store customer to plan and shop:
- Data input - customer provides info on household members, eating habits, restrictions etc.
- Meal plan selection - customer selects a weekly meal plan (a number of meal plans are offered according to season / availability and user input)
- Delivery of groceries - customer receives a detailed plan, recipes and groceries needed for one week.
Chef’s everywhere carefully plan out menus in order to have variety, and reduce waste, so why not have someone do this for your own home? Only one week of eating like this could help create a new mindset towards food among local community members. On the other side, it would be easier to plan food acquisition ahead for the stores and reduce waste and storage space in retail too.