Food Connection-An app to send out extra food to the community in order to prevent food wasting
We create the app that connected with restaurants and institutions, in this way to reduce the food waste.
-Donate your time: Volunteer can help us to deliver the food.
- Donate your money: We can use this money to combined with some transportation company or rent some cars and employ some people to help us deliver the food.
- Every restaurant has the spirit points that supervise the quality of food and need to attach photos of their food when they post to the announcement. And the institution can add common or send some points to this restaurant when it received the food
Become our boosters and volunteers!
- Food waste becomes a global problem nowadays. Our team found that lot of the restaurants prepared too much food and those extra food were wasted. So we decided to launch an App called "food connections" through which it connects restaurants and some food needed institutions, such as churches, charities, etc. The restaurant can use the app to post the amount of extra food with pictures as verification to notify the institution. The app is like SMS, if the institutions need food, they can inform the restaurant and therefor the restaurant can contact us to deliver their food. In this App not only restaurants and institutions can participate in, but also the family can participate in. We want everybody to involve in the food-saving process.
- We heard about the concern of whether it is legal to donate food from restaurants to institutions? Our team did some research found out it is legal to do the donation.
- How we deliver the food? That’s the big problem. We think if there is some people can become the volunteer to help us deliver the food or donate money so we can cooperate with some transportation company like Uber, Lyft, etc.. or we can rent some cars and hire some people to it.
- Food reliability: Every restaurant has the spirit points that supervise the quality of food and need to attach photos of their food when they post to the announcement. And the institution can add common or send some points to this restaurant when it received the food . If a restaurant has gained a very high score, it can also use this to do some advertisements to win customers, because customers love the high reputation of the restaurant. The point system is to keep check of donators credit.
- App: Our app has food classification, restaurants, institution and family located classification. It can help you to find what you want and the nearest restaurants and institutions. If you click into our restaurants or institutions, it will give you some detailed informations.
- Daily news: We make the daily news to inform people who ordered it with world’s food news and suggestions about how to reduce food waste. The news can include: type of food which was recalled recently, quality of the reservoir,etc. And the money we received from the daily news can be used for the food delivery.
- Surveys: We also can do some surveys about restaurants and institutions first. This is the suggestion from our commends.
What early, lightweight experiment might you try out in your own community to find out if the idea will meet your expectations?
Our team will go to community center and ask them whether they need food. Once there is need for food donation, we will contact the surrounding restaurants for the extra food they would like to donate. Then either the restaurants or our team can deliver the food to the community. We will work with some shuttler and study their food donation process. And we will find some companies which like to cooperate. Our team members will actually visit the restaurants and community centers.
What skills, input or guidance from the OpenIDEO community would be most helpful in building out or refining your idea?
We would like the OpenIDEO to help us about the founding and advertising. We need someone who can build an app that is easy to use. Also, if the OpenIDEO would like to help our promotion, more people would be informed so we can carry our app in a large scale,and more companies would like to cooperate with us
Tell us about your work experience:
-We are the students in Notre Dame Belmont High School. We were inspired by the food waste problem that discussed in our environmental science class and want to carry out a way to solve this global problem.
-Our team members have the experience in graphic design, coding, performing the business proposal for non-profit organization.
-And we have the members been working as a volunteer at Mitchell Park Community in Palo Alto; did the interview about food waste in Avanti Pizza store.
How far along is your idea?
It’s just been created! It’s existed for 1 day - 1 month