Easy Buying of Authentic Organic Food
Become one of the preferred platform to source organic / chemical free farm products, directly from the farmers, using latest technologies.
We were the largest seller of Organic strawberries in India last season, sold 2000 kilos (4000+ lbs) withing 2 months. Farmers earned more profit, and encouraged other farmers to practice organic farming. Photo taken in Mahabaleshwar from Mr. Bhilare's farm
Farmer 'Suresh Martal' in his Organic paddy farm. He never had a market for his organic produce, we helped him sold 40% of his output as organic at a better price, giving him 60% increase in profit.
Lead Applicant Organization Name
Alo AgriTech Pvt Ltd. Doing business as kheti-badi.com
Lead Applicant Organization Type
Small company (under 50 employees)
Website of Legally Registered Entity
https://aloagri.com and https://kheti-badi.com
How long have you / your team been working on this Vision?
Lead Applicant: In what city or town are you located?
Thane (Greater Mumbai)
Lead Applicant: In what country are you located?
Your Selected Place: what’s the name of the Place you’re developing a Vision for?
West-Central Maharashtra - Tribal areas (Millet, Paddy etc.) & hilly areas (Mangoes, Strawberries etc.) which is approximately 2,000 Km^2
What country is your selected Place located in?
Describe your relationship to the place you’ve selected.
Half of my relatives are farmers in that region
Describe the People and Place: Provide information that would be helpful for an outsider who has never been there and may have no context about this Place to better understand the area.
The area is a part of 'Western Ghats' which is one of the biodiversity hot spots of India. It has divided in two parts, coastal and Hilly. The entire area is politically and geographically neglected, but it is rich in nature. While coastal region grows tasty tropical fruits and paddy, the hilly region is famous for millet and exotic fruits.
Urban / Rural divide -
Despite of nature's gift, the local people are disconnected from the city, hence the market and often do not get the right price they deserve for their products.
The language -
Mainly spoken is Marathi, with different dialogues at coastal and hilly region.
The food -
is delicious and different at both geography's, as coastal food is mainly consist of fish and rice, while hilly region's staple is millet, rice and vegetables.
The food reflects the dominance of the agriculture output in the respective region, due to small holding farms, most people grow to feed own family, the surplus is sold in the open market. Only some of the tropical fruits have been seen as a major crop to earn money.
Due to limited earning from small holding farm, and having a beautiful geographical surroundings, lot of people from coastal and hilly region are in to tourism. Tourism is the second largest and in some areas, the largest earning source in the region
Looking forward -
Although people are disconnected by a physical distance, due to technology like smart phones, people have started maximizing the existing businesses. The information shared seamlessly is bringing the change slowly.
The popularity and commercialization of some of the fruits like Mangoes in coastal and Strawberries in Hilly region have attracted chemical and pesticide penetration in the region, threatening the biodiversity as well as health of the people living there, and people who are consuming those fruits. e.g. ripening mangoes with carbide, spraying fungicides on strawberries etc.
What is the estimated population (current 2020) in your Place?
Challenges: Describe the current (2020) and the future (2050) challenges that your food system faces.
When it comes to the farmers from these regions, the major challenges faced by them are -
*No Trust in Direct Market Access - Current supply chain involves multiple parties as end buyer and seller at source lack the trust in quality and payment respectively
*No Contracts - Most deals happen on verbal promises, fake or tampered contracts making it difficult to track
*Delayed Payment - 90 percent of the time payments are delayed and 10 percent time defaulted. Or even renegotiated at the time of paying.
Address the Challenges: Describe how your Vision will address the challenges described in the previous question.
Marketplace - Simple mobile friendly marketplace, include SMS verification and it is 100% free, and user data gets stored on blockchain to be traced back lifetime
Payments - Real time ‘Escrow’ payment for two parties to protect their interest while exchanging good vs. money
Smart Contract - Terms are set for transaction, then the software automatically executes set of actions, according to the specifications in the smart contract, including payments.
High Level Vision: With these challenges addressed, now provide a high level description of how the Place and the lives of its People will be different than they are now.
The listing of product and making it live to the world takes less than 5 minutes, and less than 10 minutes to create a digital contract with escrow payment. It reduces 70% of communication + documentation time and it is 4 times cheaper than any other solution available in the market.
Impact of solution
**Benefit to small holder farmers
1. Guaranteed increase in profit or more price than market
2. Single platform to access multiple resources
3. Decrease dependency on middlemen for various value add services.
4. Small orders can be agree-gated at hub level, which otherwise not possible without middlemen or logistics wise
**By connecting small farmers directly to bulk buyers -
1. Min 20-30% increase in farmer’s income
2. Time to negotiations and transport by 40%,
3. Resulting in food spoilage by 25%
4. Access to finance - History of transactional data can increase the chance to access loan / insurance by 50%
5. Better planning - Using historical data, they can make informed decisions which can reduce loss up to 20-60%
Full Vision: How do you describe your Vision for a regenerative and nourishing food future for your Place and People for 2050?
Our vision and execution is already addressing the themes, and here is the explanation of how well they are interconnected -
1. Farmer - Organic / natural farming, farmers can save on input cost, sell directly to retailers, save cost and earn more profit. This will influence the other farming community around him.
2. Environment - Organic / Natural farming helps to keep balance in the soil and ecology around it, saving on environmental hazards by synthetic chemicals and pesticides.
3. Diets - chemical / pesticide free food is good for human consumption, keeping away most of the diseases caused by dangerous chemicals and pesticides.
4. Economics - As profit increases, the farming becomes an attractive business, it can pump money in the rural economy, it will help Urban migration to already over crowded cities
5. Culture - These is no direct threats to imbalance existing culture of the region.
6. Technology - Use of smart phones and advance technology like 'blockchain' will help us to provide authentic food to consumer, control frauds related to food origin and recalls.
7. Policy - There is no direct conflict with any of the existing policies in the region.
Working with tribal group, 100 km from Mumbai, India
How did you hear about the Food System Vision Prize?