To maintain the diversity of Chinese food culture via encouraging home cooking
Our vision is to maintain the diversity of Chinese food culture via encouraging home cooking
Lead Applicant Organization Name
Shanghai Cookpad Network Technology Co., Ltd.
Lead Applicant Organization Type
Small company (under 50 employees)
If part of a multi-stakeholder entity (i.e. team), provide the names of other organizations and types of stakeholders collaborating with you.
Cookpad China team
Website of Legally Registered Entity
How long have you / your team been working on this Vision?
Lead Applicant: In what city or town are you located?
Lead Applicant: In what country are you located?
Your Selected Place: what’s the name of the Place you’re developing a Vision for?
What country is your selected Place located in?
Describe your relationship to the place you’ve selected.
The place I was born and grew
Describe the People and Place: Provide information that would be helpful for an outsider who has never been there and may have no context about this Place to better understand the area.
China is a country which has:
● Biggest population in the world
● Vast territory with very traditional and diverse food culture
● One of the fastest growing economic identity
● Internet industry is growing very fast and leading the change of lifestyle
What is the estimated population (current 2020) in your Place?
Challenges: Describe the current (2020) and the future (2050) challenges that your food system faces.
● Due to the growing of economy and technology, industrialization of the food system have been damaging the diversity of food culture
● Diversity Ingredient would be reduced
● Fewer people would cook at home
● Many dishes and food culture would be lost
● Pollution and waste due to food delivery would increase
Address the Challenges: Describe how your Vision will address the challenges described in the previous question.
● We believe only when home cooking is thriving, the diversity of food culture can be maintained
● And, as long as we could improve the diversity of the food culture, we believe issues on agriculture or distribution will also be improved
● We hope we could improve the food system by moving forward towards our vision
High Level Vision: With these challenges addressed, now provide a high level description of how the Place and the lives of its People will be different than they are now.
People would have a happier, healthier life
Full Vision: How do you describe your Vision for a regenerative and nourishing food future for your Place and People for 2050?
（Please refer to the attached PDF file to see an organized view）Our vision is to maintain the diversity of Chinese food culture via encouraging home cooking.
In China, we have very traditional and diverse food culture. However, due to the growing of economy and technology, industrialization of the food system have been damaging the diversity of food culture. We believe only when home cooking is thriving, the diversity of food culture can be maintained. And, as long as we could improve the diversity of the food culture, we believe issues on agriculture or distribution will also be improved
We hope we could improve the food system by moving forward towards our vision.
Our 3 key goals in 2050 to represent the vision:
1. Make “cooking” a representation of fun and high quality life. Due to an increasing amount of mind-numbing entertainment and social platforms, the joy of cooking and living experiences has been undermined.
To spread the joy of cooking, we must spread the value and joy of living real life experiences over short term fun of addictive entertainments.
2. Help everyone who want to cook acquire cooking skills. Young generation is losing cooking skills
Having cooking skills is a prerequisite to enjoy cooking.
3. Help people have access to a larger variety of ingredients, and provide them with a stronger connection to nature. Diversity of Chinese food culture cannot be achieved and maintained without a diversity of ingredients. Ingredients come from nature.Creating a stronger connection between people and nature raises the fun of cooking, and helps to relieve the consequences of heavy industrialization - impediment of sustainable food system.
Our key approach to achieve the vision:
1. Build solutions combined doing, technology and community
2. Start from cooking(recipe sharing), then go upstream to improve the whole food system
1. The current focus of our solutions is to build a be favored recipe sharing community in China. Recipe sharing community (https://cookpadchina.com) . To make home cooking be easier and fun. Help people to improve cooking skills. Preserve home cooking knowledge.
2. Solutions to be discussed in the future: a) Ingredient database and discovery community. b) Home farming and ingredient exchange community. c) Fishing community and etc.
The resulting world would be anticipated to be...
More people cooking everyday.
Preservation of diversity of traditional cuisines.
Variety of ingredients are easily accessible.
Agriculture, ingredient distribution have better sustainability.
A remarkable reduction of pollution and wastes due to food delivery.
How did you hear about the Food System Vision Prize?