Empowering Women through Skills
Transforming individuality in to personality
Lead Applicant Organization Name
PAKWIN, (Pak women Integrated network)
Lead Applicant Organization Type
Small NGO (under 50 employees)
If part of a multi-stakeholder entity (i.e. team), provide the names of other organizations and types of stakeholders collaborating with you.
Sosial Welfare Swat
How long have you / your team been working on this Vision?
Lead Applicant: In what city or town are you located?
Lead Applicant: In what country are you located?
Your Selected Place: what’s the name of the Place you’re developing a Vision for?
Swat 5,337 km²
What country is your selected Place located in?
Describe your relationship to the place you’ve selected.
This is our home land, rich in natural resources and human resources, this is always the dream of any philanthropist to assist and help to developed their community. for last two decades our community is continuously struggling to word prosperity despite the high level of human an natural disaster accursed ( the terrorist and flood effective area).
The possibility of natural herb, tourism and skilled people are the biggest opportunities and if not been addressed correctly on time this will effect the future of the our community.
Describe the People and Place: Provide information that would be helpful for an outsider who has never been there and may have no context about this Place to better understand the area.
The feel of the Place (e.g., who are the inhabitants, transitions that are impacting the community, traditions)
he history of Swat valley goes back to around 2000 years ago. It was known as Udyana and later the name was changed to Suvastu. The valley was a very peaceful area for living until the 11th century. The game of power led to the disruption the valley and it was first conquered by Mahmud of Ghazni.
- The food People eat (tastes, flavors, and smells)
Due to one of international tourist place the muti- cultural food available, but unfortunately unawareness and lack of interest in food quality many places and food points are not up to standards. the local chapli Kbab and trout fish forming is one of the bench mark food of the area, this is spicy and oily, may smell different by using the pure animal fats in chapli kabab only. ( but i Like it.....)
- The climate and topography
Swat's average elevation is 980 m (3,220 ft), resulting in a considerably cooler and wetter climate compared to most of Pakistan. With lush forests, verdant alpine meadows, and snow-capped mountains, Swat is one of the country's most popular tourist destinations, Malam Jabba ski resort is a ski resort situated in the Hindu Kush range of the Swat Valley Ski areas and resorts in Pakistan.
- The social dynamics, cultural traditions, language, and ethnic diversity
Swat is populated mostly by ethnic Pashtuns and Kohistani (high lander) communities. The language spoken in the valley is Pashto, with a minority of Torwali and Kalami speakers in the Swat Kohistan region of Upper Swat.
- The unique cultural trends
Buddhist Stupas It is one of the most famous archeological sites of the Buddhist period. Swat was said to be filled with 1400 beautiful stupas and monasteries
- The urban/rural breakdown
There are 65 Union councils in District Swat: 56 rural and 9 urban.
- The role of agriculture, farming and aquaculture, and dominant crops
SWAT'S agricultural potential still remains unutilised for want of supporting infrastructure facilities. ... Enormous crop yield losses, transportation as well as marketing blues and use of substandard pesticides/ fertilizer perpetuate subsistence farming and poverty in the area.
- What are the hopes of the People here?
Tourism, a previously thriving business, withered away due to insecurity and upheaval. The once mesmerizing valleys of Swat lost its charm and appeal in the eyes of the world.
After a few years, life started returning towards normalcy through various initiatives initiated by the government and other local, national and international development agencies
- The effect of diets on the health of the population
The major forms of malnutrition and nutrition-related disease include protein-energy malnutrition (PEM), iodine deficiency disorders (IDD), vitamin A and C deficiency (VAD) blindness, iron deficiency anaemia, obesity, diet-related cancer, CVD, and osteoporos, Thalassemia. Hepatitis all forms etc.
What is the estimated population (current 2020) in your Place?
Challenges: Describe the current (2020) and the future (2050) challenges that your food system faces.
Swat is one of the buggiest international tourism spot, therefore large no of people are usually come to this place each year, where at one side this massive non native or tourist activities is biggest economic opportunity for the region but also create a biggest challenges on their returns. like the River Swat, the landmarks Lakes are always full of disposable leftovers lie pet bottles organic leftover food and non healthy artificial flavored from the metropolitan city is imported to full fill the demands. though the most of population of our community is forced to lived in other metropolitan city just for livelihood, and specially education, if this opportunity and recycled plants is to installed in this area more jobs can be created and also will help to create job opportunity.
Economically in past the people of this region was the benchmark for handmade handy craft specially penmanship shawl, specially women made. but soon the opportunity and the industry is switch due to terrorist and flood hazard this industry is about to be the history.
As compare to other regions near by swat is always to be one of the moderate region in all aspect in education, livelihood women entrepreneurship.
As per technology advancement this region is one of the deprived and ignored because of being remote area and effected by terrorist and flood the last 20 years our community continuously fought for the survival.
The govt policy for the region is still need to be more flexible and this is under the top consideration. the issue is always the implementation and awareness of the policy which need strong sustainable mechanism through public private collaboration.
Address the Challenges: Describe how your Vision will address the challenges described in the previous question.
This challenges can be address buy following interventions.
1. Public Private Collaboration; Integrating the interest and need of both Public and Private vision and mission for the larger interest of the community and specially humanity.
2. Awareness and social Mobilization: Though many organization has intervene in the public for the awareness and social mobilization but all are just for the temporary or as emergency responses during last 20 years, and community is sensitized about the all issues specially the malnutrition and clean drinking waters.
3. Training: Required for the best practice to be ensure in their community and specially in the kitchen gardening, there is strong possibility for such project because the region is full of the natural resources and accessible for every one.
4. Empowering Women and their Role in Economy: The women are very in skilled but lack of opportunity and technology the development of the food processing and natural herbs cultivation is not exist. thought the natural food, nuts, etc is one of the biggest production of the region this industry is almost dying.
5. Education Standard: the biggest problem is the our conventional education system, which is not encouraging or addressing the local need of the community purpose, the technical and vocational education system can build the community for future skill requirement of 21 century (as per World Economic Forum, skills)
6. Entrepreneurship Development: More likely the community is more convened about the entrepreneurship and self job but the lack of funding and support the community need the strong mechanism to uplift their life. this is both for women and men 's concerned.
High Level Vision: With these challenges addressed, now provide a high level description of how the Place and the lives of its People will be different than they are now.
Empowering Women through the Economic opportunity will help the community to progress and healthy living standards. there are some direct and indirect impact,
- Women contribution in the economic.
- Empowerment of women in community decision making process.
- Women health and psychological development.
- Children health and nutrition food awareness.
- Education and future technology awareness.
- Increase in local GDP.
- Implementation of women right protection policies.
- Education opportunity for the women.
- Healthy life and leisure activities.
- Innovation and improvement in the food processing and technology.
- Respect and equity base rights.
Full Vision: How do you describe your Vision for a regenerative and nourishing food future for your Place and People for 2050?
In all six interconnected themes: Environment, Diets, Economics, Culture, Technology, and Policy. the role of women can not be ignored, rather the role of women are more then the men. as per our culture the strong need of women contribution or initiative are recommended.
How did you hear about the Food System Vision Prize?