Delivering Healthier and more sustainable protein from edible grasshoppers
Delivering Healthier and more sustainable protein through commercial farming of grasshoppers
Lead Applicant Organization Name
Hargol FoodTech Ltd
Lead Applicant Organization Type
Small company (under 50 employees)
Website of Legally Registered Entity
How long have you / your team been working on this Vision?
Lead Applicant: In what city or town are you located?
Lead Applicant: In what country are you located?
Your Selected Place: what’s the name of the Place you’re developing a Vision for?
Israel/Jordan free industrial zone
What country is your selected Place located in?
Describe your relationship to the place you’ve selected.
The location is a free industrial zone between Israel and Jordan. We identified a Jordanian partner to establish a joint venture with.
This will enable Hargol to provide employment to Jordanian farmers, Syrian refugees in Jordan and export the grasshoppers as made in Jordan to markets across the Middle East and Africa where they are considered a delicacy.
Describe the People and Place: Provide information that would be helpful for an outsider who has never been there and may have no context about this Place to better understand the area.
The free industrial alone between Israel and Jordan enable both parties to reach the location at minimal time and regulation. While grasshoppers are considered a delicacy across the Middle East, they have relatively low demand in Israel. Hargol's technology enable farming grasshoppers on commercial scale providing the demand more efficient and with better control for food safety (compare to today's wild harvested grasshoppers).
What is the estimated population (current 2020) in your Place?
Challenges: Describe the current (2020) and the future (2050) challenges that your food system faces.
Global demand for protein is expected to double.
Existing protein sources are reaching their limitations: meat protein sources are harmful to the environment while plant protein is not as healthy as we need it to be.
As a result the demand for high-quality, sustainable protein alternatives will sky rocket over the next years.
But the new sources also have their own limitations. For example, algae protein suffer from distinctive taste and cultured meat is years away from becoming commercially viable.
Insects as food attract a lot of attention. In particular – Crickets.
But they too have their set of problem: First, they do not fit intensive farming since they are individual animals. Second, they suffer from distinct taste and flavor making them a challenging ingredient for food producers. And they are not Kosher!
So the real solution is – Grasshoppers!
Grasshoppers are an amazing solution with 10 distinct advantages over the competition:
1. Superior nutrient content with a whopping 70% protein content, with all essential amino acids and very high on omega-3, omega-6, Iron, Zinc and folic acid. And very low saturated fat or cholesterol.
2. Neutral in taste and flavor making them a perfect ingredient food producers.
3. Grasshoppers are the perfect fit for intensive farming with their tendency to swarm.
4. Grasshoppers are X20 times more sustainable than beef: Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 98.8%, reducing water waste by X1,000 times and reducing arable land usage by X1,500 times.
5. They are healthier for humans: From supporting children’s growth, through improving metabolism – reducing sugar and cholesterol levels, all the was to reducing body fat.
6. Grasshoppers are also the world’s most widely eaten insect – consumed today by 2.5 billion people across Asia, Africa and Central America. Enjoy high demand and prices – Double the price of beef!
7. They are the only Kosher and Halal insect.
8. Grasshoppers are the only insect that is recognized as food all over the world.
9. And with their picky diet and Hargol’s technology they are a super safe and clean product.
10. While growing plants farmers use pesticides and kill billions of insects that are left to die in the fields. Hargol uses stress-less harvest procedure recommended by the EU to minimize harm to animals.
Address the Challenges: Describe how your Vision will address the challenges described in the previous question.
With grasshoppers being more efficient to produce and healthier for humans, Hargol plan to develop food products based on grasshopper protein to improve the health of children and families through better nutrition while limiting the impact on the environment to minimum.
High Level Vision: With these challenges addressed, now provide a high level description of how the Place and the lives of its People will be different than they are now.
Farming grasshoppers in Jordan will provide locals employment and will enable a wider range of grasshoppers distribution across the Middle East.
and another thing we believe in is that peace will be promoted mainly through economic collaboration.
Full Vision: How do you describe your Vision for a regenerative and nourishing food future for your Place and People for 2050?
Grasshopper protein will be added to a wide range of food products, replacing current unhealthy and unsustainable protein sources, feeding humans around the globe.
How did you hear about the Food System Vision Prize?