I interviewed my aunt. She is an older adult. Her age is 66 years old. She has also fallen before. Therefore, her story is really personal.
Some background information
The aunt interviewed for this challenge comes from my mother's side of the family. This aunt is older than my mom. My aunt is currently 66 years. She will turn 67 years old in 2 months' time. In addition, my aunt has fallen before. She broke her wrist as a result.
That is interesting to note. When we think of falls, we do not typically think of falling and breaking a wrist. We are more apt to think of breaking a hip, an ankle, or even a leg. Places like the wrist or the shoulder tend to not come to mind for some reason. Furthermore, my aunt has not let her fall stop her from retaining her independence. In fact, it made her more determined if more cautious to live her life.
Learnings: My aunt is an older adult that had a fall resulting in a broken wrist. Despite the fall, she continues to live life to the fullest in her old age if a bit more cautiously.
Education is key in fight for fall prevention. My aunt had this suggestion. She suggested that libraries should hold classes on fall prevention which an older adult and a family member could attend. This way the younger person could explain to the older adult if he or she did not understand the class initially. Her suggestion really made sense in my mind. I have noticed that personally for my library in GA that we have classes/events for everything from business to knitting, but I have never noticed one on fall prevention.
Libraries should do their part too. I understand that libraries seem an unlikely stakeholder. This old adage comes to mind. It takes a village to raise a child. This correlates to another adage which is once an adult, twice a child. Thus, I believe that libraries could serve as an important stakeholder in fight for fall prevention.
The library suggestion requires family. It does not have is have to be family but a companion should be required in order to absorb any knowledge potentially missed.
- Education will be a significant enabling factor in the fight against falls.
- Libraries are currently an untapped wellspring of potential and could be in the future a major stakeholder in the fight for fall prevention.
- The library suggestion would need people to come in pairs so all the information gets taken in because two heads are better than one.
The stakeholders are many. One stakeholder is the library. That is an unlikely stakeholder. Other stakeholders are obvious. They are the doctors, hospitals, the government, older adults themselves, and more. All play various roles that impact fall prevention at different levels of intensity.
Learnings: They are the doctors, hospitals, the government, older adults themselves, and more.
There should be a policy put into place. This policy would come into effect when an adult turns 60 to go see the doctor about classes to instruct and enable you about living life as an older adult.
The environment also has its own role to play when it comes to fall prevention. For instance, the sidewalks need fixing. In addition, secured rugs or anything where there water to stop the elderly from slipping and sliding. Furthermore, the bathrooms should have rails put in, so that older adults can hold on to the rails and not fall.
Learnings: A policy should be implemented to educate older adults on fall prevention by when an adult turn 60 years old.
... and falling
My aunt noted that she fell before. In addition, she broke her wrist as a result of the fall. Therefore, she needed someone to take care of her. Ever since, she has been extremely careful, so that the accident would not be repeated again.
Learnings: Falling can be tough and result in injuring. Healing requires the aid of another person, but healing can happen.
- Education is crucial for fall prevention. Libraries are a wellspring of untapped potential for educating people about fall prevention.
- The stakeholders are plenty with everyone having differing stakes about fall prevention which makes identifying every stakeholder a complicated task such as realizing that libraries are a stakeholder.
- The factors underlie fall prevention. For instance, the environment could use small fixes that would greatly impact fall prevention.
- Falling can result in injury for an older adult, but healing is possible with the help of someone to provide care for you.