Some notable themes for their report include:
- There is "increased sophistication" and increase ambition in using challenges for public sector issues
- The government has had a heavy focus on IT / software development challenges
- More challenges supporting entrepreneurship and commercialization, ie using challenges to support for-profit ventures and startups
- More diverse ways for engaging the public and building communities during competitions and challenges have been emerging
- To support the growing use of open challenges, the government has trained over 1,500 federal agency staff have been trained "through workshops, online resources, and an active community of practice."