Providing special diets and health care to kids aged 0-3 years, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers besides a tailored cartoon movie and App
Updates: How has your idea changed or evolved throughout the Prize? What updates have you made to this submission? (1500 characters)
During the period in question, a lot have been learned for the purpose of improving the project deliverables, yet making sure that a big number of low income - mothers and children benefit. It was therefore very useful to have enough time before the final submission to get at this stage.
REVISITING PROJECT DELIVERABLES
To better cater the purpose, the project idea has been extended to provide all the nutrients required by pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, as well as children aged from 0-3 years.
Therefore, our integrated organic farms will be providing the best sources of proteins, vitamins, carbohydrates, fats, minerals and fiber, which will include milk, eggs, white meat, beans, roots (Irish potatoes, and cassava), fruits, vegetables, grains, seed oils, honey, etc. throughout the year and at affordable rates.
CHANGES ON THE TITLE OF INNOVATION
I have changed the name of the idea from 'Innovatoto' to 'Dietsoon' to make it better reflect the goal. The term 'Dietsoon' has been coined to put more emphasis on the immediate (soon) use of balanced diet to pregnant and breast feeding mothers and their children aged 0 - 3 years.
REALIZING THE STAGE OF THE IDEA
Again I have changed the stage of innovation from Early Stage to New Innovator after reading thoroughly the materials shared by the challenge as well as realizing that some of the project components like mobile app, and cartoon movie are still at their early stage of development though may soon go live. The farming part of the idea is what is principally working as of now.
FEEDBACK FROM PROJECT STAKEHOLDERS
1. NUTRITION AND HEALTH EXPERTS
Throughout the period, I have actually been talking to various mothers and children specialized experts including nutrition experts and doctors to learn exactly what children need for their better childhood growth. I also have spent a lot of time reading through the prize toolkits and other available resources to learn the same. Indeed, lessons from the Challenge Kick off meeting.
My young brother, Aidid Matsawili who is currently pursuing his Bachelor Degree of in Food Science & Technology at Sokoine University of Agriculture (SUA) gave significant insights on how to organically preserve and process high standard food stuffs for future consumption.
2. PRODUCTION PARTNERS
I have extended my production partnership plan to other farmers like Mr. Henry Mulisa and Shamiru Ismail who all have immense experience on organic poultry farming in Bukoba.
Mr. Abbas Habib has also agreed to join my mission by providing his 2 acre land suitable for Fish Ponds near my 10 acre Farm in Nsunga village while Ms. Renaida Kyaruzi, an expert on fish farming has also agreed to contribute her skills and experience to make my fresh fish supply reliable and affordable throughout the year. Basically, a lot of experiences were acquired from the trips to visiting their farms which are linearly located along the Uganda Road from Bukoba.
3. PRIMARY BENEFICIARIES
I had chats with kids, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as children care givers in some low-income households in Bukoba to get their insights on the refinement of my idea. All the kids I talked to enjoy watching Cartoon TV Channels, and do not easily assent for changes.
MAKING IT MORE INCLUSIVE
At the beginning, my idea was excluding HIV/AIDS infected human subjects - pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as children aged between 0 - 3 years. Now, rethinking about this during the refinement, I found it a kind of stigmatization and decided to include them and learn how effective will be the intervention.
INCLUDING THE MOBILE APP
I have learned that, many parents and some caregivers use smart phones to only access social media especially Facebook, Whatsapp, twitter, and Instagram, therefore found it important developing a Dietsoon App which will help spreading the diet pertinent information for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as for children aged 0 - 3 years for free from Playstore.
My young brother, Mahad Matsawili - Director of Technology at Afrosoft Limited, with Bachelor Degree in Telecommunications Engineering from the University of Dodoma (UDOM) will start coding the app soon as a finalize its contents.
REVISING THE BUSINESS MODEL
I have discovered that, home delivery may be ideal for most of the households rather than a stationary supply center. And therefore thinking to use a combined stationary and mobile supply approach. Talking to my best friend from Spain but living in the UK, said that organic products are preferred in Europe and thus making me think the markets beyond the borders.
Moreover, the plan has now been reaching as many health facilities, and drop Dietsoon leaflets and advertisements targeting pregnant mothers.
I will also encourage other people in the community to do the same, as my primary goal isn't money but improving lives.
Name or Organization
Afrosoft Limited, a private company registered in Tanzania focusing on ICT, Research, Consultancy, Capacity Building, Agribusiness and Entrepreneurship.
This idea is pioneered by myself, Sadam Matsawili - the Managing Director of Afrosoft Limited.
For the sake of expanding production and ensuring consistency and reliability of supply, I will be collaborating with my 4 enterprising friends - Mr. Henry Mulisa, Mr. Shamiru Ismail, Mr. Abbas HabibU and Ms. Renaida Kyaruzi, all from Bukoba.
Our office is located in Bukoba Urban - Tanzania, the farms are in neighbor district - Misenyi.
What is your stage of development?
New Innovator, with less than one year of experience in ECD
What is the stage of your proposal?
Prototyping: I have done some small tests or experiments with prospective users to continue developing my idea.
Describe how your solution could be a game-changer for your selected Opportunity Area (600 characters)
Diets and health care for mothers during pregnancy to breastfeeding will help build their kids' brain, while the Lea & Kuza cartoon movie will shape the behavior of their kids to the better.
Thus, my idea stands on two pillars;
1. Empowering Kids' Brain - by providing special diets to kids and their mothers
2. Influencing Kids' Behaviors - through watching Lea & Kuza cartoon movie
In fact, ensuring that kids' brains and bodies are strong and capable, plus assigning them various intellectual actions and behaviors will automatically produce super kids and future innovators.
Select an Innovation Target
Platform: Creating a community or market that facilitates interaction between users and resources.
Tell us more about your innovation (1500 characters)
Dietsoon is an integrated diets plus cartoon intervention through organic farming of vegetables, fruits, roots, poultry, grains, milk, eggs, fish, seed oils, honey, etc., which aims at supplementing nutrition status of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as children aged 0-3 years for the sake of addressing malnutrition and associated effects including diseases and deaths of the mothers and young children in Bukoba and elsewhere including USA.
The name ‘Dietsoon’ has been coined from the two words – Diets and Cartoon, which are the main components of my innovation. Reading it, emphasizes diet in the early ages, which means; soon as you get pregnant – take diet; soon as you start breastfeeding – take diet; soon as your child is ready to take food – give diet; and soon as your child develops vision – let her/him watch Lea & Kuza Cartoon movie.
The nutrition part of the intervention will be coupled with a tailored cartoon movie part called Lea & Kuza intended to influence children actions and behaviors to the better, and the Mobile Application for information sharing. The cartoon part of the intervention will enable children learn while enjoying.
Given the importance of nutrition in the overall physical and cognitive development of children, there is a need to focus on the first 1,000 days of a child’s life to prevent the negative effects of malnutrition from becoming irreversible especially to the low - income households in Bukoba, Tanzania and in the USA.
What problem are you aiming to solve? (3 sentences)
My idea is looking forward to solving a set of four common problems which are principally hindering a smooth early childhood intellectual development of kids from low income families;
1. Malnutrition to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as their children
2. Lack of innovative learning tools for children aged 0-3 years
3. Poor health services to mothers and children due to lack of health insurance
4. Lack of dietary information during pregnancy and early childhood development.
Explain your idea (5000 characters)
In 2015, more than 2.7 million Tanzanian children under 5 years of age were estimated to be stunted and more than 600,000 were suffering from acute malnutrition, of which 100,000 were severe cases. It is estimated that the country will lose US$20 billion by 2025 if the nutrition situation does not improve.
In contrast, by investing in nutrition and improving the population’s nutritional status, the country could gain up to US$4.7 billion by 2025. Under nutrition is wrecking children’s lives. Globally, 161 million chronically undernourished children are not getting the right nutrients and care at the right time.
Under nutrition is the underlying cause of 43 per cent of child deaths. Average spending on nutrition at local government level increased from TZS 65 million to TZS 125 million between fiscal years 2011/12 and 2015/16. Every year, that’s around 3.1 million deaths of children under the age of five.
Dietsoon is an EARLY combined intervention program through providing special diets and community health insurance to children aged 0-3 years, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as a tailored upbringing cartoon movie to kids especially from the low-income households.
A sample of 5 mothers, one per low-income household will be focused by the program. After about 4 years of monitoring and intervention, the about5 focused kids will be evaluated against other 5 kids in the interactive Studio.
Criteria for Focal Mothers:
• From low-income households
• Aged between 18 - 40 years
• Formally married, with spouse consenting for household participation
• Tested for Pregnancy (+Ve)
• Take diet/nutrients provided to her by the program as scheduled
• Ready to breastfeed for 24 months
• Their kids to watch Lea & Kuza Cartoon movie, soon as they develop vision
The program is the combination of 5 components namely;
1. Farming – This includes growing vegetables, fruits, and cereals in my 10 Acre farm in Nsunga Village as well as in my 3 acre farm in Nyakibimbili village where I have grown about 8,000 cassava plants. Again, there will be fish ponds in Nsunga village in the 2 acre farming I am partnering with a friend of mine, Mr. Abbas Habib. Furthermore, I am doing poultry and goat farming in partnership with my friend Mr. Henry Mulisa in Rugazi village farm for eggs, milk and meat production. The main objective of this component is to ensure the availability of required nutrients for the better growth of kids aged 0-3 years in Bukoba Municipality and the neighboring localities.
2. Lea & Kuza Cartoon Movie – Almost every children like to watch cartoon movies, and therefore a good media to pass the information suitable for children better upbringing. Lea & Kuza cartoon movie will have 2 role model characters, a female (Lea) and male (Kuza). These characters will be tailored to act morally and creatively. Then the series will be broadcasted in public Halls, Televisions and sold on though DVDs. The main goal of this movie is to install best practices in the already empowered kids’ brain. It will help kids even understand how use and interact with now days technological devices like cell phones, TVs, and avoiding dangers.
3. Mobile App – This application will be developed and be made available for free in the Play Store, giving instructions about diets and other best practices for kids, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers. The tailored cartoon movie mentioned above may also be included in the App.
4. Health Care – A random sample of 5 pregnant mothers will be selected from the pool of interested low-income households in Bukoba Municipality. The mothers will be issued with Health Insurance throughout their pregnancy and breastfeeding period. Their kids will also be given Health Insurance for 3 years. This sample will be for monitoring and evaluation purposes. The sample will also be getting health consultancy services at home.
5. Restaurant and Diet Center – There will be a restaurant in the name of Maisha Raha (a Swahili language phrase meaning Enjoyable Life). This restaurant will be serving the program focal group (i.e. Kids aged 0-3 years, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers) at the cheapest prices as well as other special groups like elderly, students, victims of HIV, Diabetes, Hypertension, Cancer, etc. by providing them recommended food stuffs. While the restaurant will be the source of cooked foods, the Diet Center will be a kind of a mini market where the fresh foods are found at affordable prices and free health advice. The special thing with Maisha Raha Restaurant is that customers are given information about the nutrients of food they consume. There will also be a home delivery service.
While the above components are designed to operate in Tanzania, the same can be implemented in the United States to give same and even better results to the early childhood life. The program components can also be customized to suit the local context of any country.
Creating Irrigation schemes at my Nsunga Farm
Who benefits? (1500 characters)
The idea will primarily benefit pregnant and breastfeeding mothers, as well as children aged 0-3 years from low-income families.
There will be 2 types of beneficiaries;
1. Sampled Beneficiaries - 5 Households which will be getting products for free.
2. Other Beneficiaries - the rest of the community, getting products at affordable rates.
All beneficiaries will first of all get education on the significance of adhering to diet recommendations during the pregnancy, breastfeeding and early childhood age. They will also have access to reliable and affordable food varieties rich of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, fats, minerals, and fiber through our Shopping Center, Maisha Raha restaurant and home delivery.
I have been working on research projects involving pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as children under 5 years for years now, and that's where I fetched the interest and experience to serve them.
I am also a husband of one wife - Anifa, and a father of four healthier kids - Abrar, Amthal, Arsal and Arham. I would love to extend the interaction, care and experience I have been practicing at the family level to the community, especially the poor families in Bukoba, Tanzania.
On the other hand, I will incubate and encourage other entrepreneurs to join the market so that we can extend the services to the entire Tanzania and Africa, as well as searching for the markets abroad (i.e. USA, Europe, and Asia) where organic products also matter a lot.
What kind of impact will your idea have? (1500 characters)
In the malnutrition worst-affected countries, four in ten children are stunted. Their bodies and brains have not grown or developed properly. This long-neglected problem does not stop there. Undernourished girls grow into undernourished mothers who give birth to undernourished children.
Dietsoon will have a long lasting positive impacts to the lives of children, their mothers and their families and entire communities at large. It will pave the way for the government(s) to review their policies towards improving mothers and children welfare even for the future generation.
It is my intention to show the impact of balanced diet to pregnant and breastfeeding mothers into the early childhood development to the community so that, it becomes a part of the social norms and customs and even a tradition to best feed them, and therefore controlling unnecessary deaths and diseases to children under 5 year and their mothers.
Apart from my business activities, I will also encourage poor families to establish vegetable and fruits gardens in bags and waste buckets so that they can easily get vitamins around their homesteads. Again, to have at least one chicken for getting some eggs.
In general, with Dietsoon on board, we should expect controlled malnutrition, unnecessary diseases and deaths of pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as children aged 0-3 year.
Frankly speaking, you can not succeed in improving the lives of mothers and children without improving their diets.
How does or how could your idea impact low-income children? (1500 characters)
Low-income children as well as their mothers are primarily in focus with this project idea.
In this idea, there are 5 main ways through which children from low-income families are prioritized;
1. Selling diet food stuffs at the cheapest prices in town, for them to afford
2. To create public television shows in public halls where all children including those from low-income families can watch Lea & Kuza Cartoon movie for free especially during the weekend.
3. Free education for low-income mothers on how to establish home based fruit and vegetable gardens.
4. One child from each of the 5 sampled low-income households will be getting nutrients for free, since their mothers pregnancy, breastfeeding and up to them reaching the age of 3 years.
Sometimes, fathers and mothers from low-income families will be encouraged and employed to do some casual activities in the project farms like weeding, harvesting, and bird scaring in order to get some money or can be equivalently given food stuffs.
Innovation: What makes your concept innovative? (5000 characters)
Completeness makes my concept unique. Current approaches concentrate on building children brains, but they don't bother assigning tasks to those powerful brains. This is like building a good smart phone with no applications inside, or producing a good computer (hardware) with no any software installed.
With Dietsoon, special diets (from organic farms) are for building brains and bodies while the Lea & Kuza Cartoon series is brought in for installing the best practices for model children.
The concept is very collaborative - as it has involved all key stakeholders (i.e. children, mothers, baby care givers, and doctors) in its development.
Scale: Describe how your idea could reach a significant number of end-users. (1500 characters)
The idea will start its prototype with few families, and after the evaluation of its impacts the project will be disseminated to more families, asking high-income families, private, non governmental, and governmental organizations to implement the same for the multiplier effect.
Among other specific strategies we are planning to use in order to reach a significant number of beneficiaries are;
1. Disseminating Cartoon series DVDs and though Social Media, as well as broadcasting them
2. Talking to Health Facilities (i.e. Hospitals, Health Centers, Dispensaries, Medical Labs, Clinics, etc) to advise Pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as baby care givers to adhere dietsoon
3. To Develop an advisory or consulting Mobile application called dietsoon App through which communities will be benefiting.
4. To conduct workshops to empower baby care givers
5. To be showing Lea & Kuza Cartoon Movie in the public halls for free, to allow more children from low-income families to watch at least twice a month.
6. To print and distribute Dietsoon posters to restaurants in the community for raising public awareness of the importance of special diets for pregnant, breastfeeding and children aged 0-3 years
Feasibility: Where are you with understanding the feasibility of your idea? Describe what you’ve done so far and your plans. (3000 characters)
Although some studies and most of parents discourage young children to be exposed to television, various studies indicates that almost three quarters of infants and toddlers are still exposed to TV programs before they turn 2.
So, that being the case we need to make sure that these kids watch what is tailored to build their brains and actions to the better, and this is where the Lea & Kuza Cartoon series fits.
A study conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation about TV and Kids under Age 3 on How prevalent is TV in the lives of very young children? found that;
"For children under the age of 2:
• More than four in 10 (43%) of children under the age of 2 watch TV every day and nearly one in five (18%) watch videos or DVDs every day.
• Most parents (88%) of these under-2-year-olds who watch TV every day say they are in the same room with their child while they are watching TV either all or most of the time.
• 74% of all infants and toddlers have watched TV before the age of 2."
For children under the age of 6:
• On average, they spend about two hours a day with screen media - the same amount of time as they spend playing outside, and three times as much time as they spend reading or being read to.
• 77% turn on the TV by themselves
• 71% ask for their favorite videos
• 67% ask for particular shows
• 62% use the remote to change channels and
• 71% ask for their favorite videos or DVDs.
These findings indirectly suggests that the cartoon series on TV can benefit many kids under the age of 3 as well as their parents during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
The interdependence of the farms makes the project feasible. Again, Ms. Renaida Kyaruzi already visited the land reserved for fish ponds and said it is the best location by its type of soil and other matters to be considered.
Business Viability: How viable is your business model? (5000 characters)
My casual interviews with 120 mothers from low and middle-income show that, 80 per cent (96 mothers) in Bukoba do not know exactly which food should be taken during pregnancy, while only 60 per cent understand the best foods to be taken to increase milk during the breastfeeding period.
However, over 90 per cent mothers were ready to take recommended food staffs during the pregnancy and breastfeeding period given the information and affordable prices.
Home delivery has seemed to be a keen tool to winning the market as most of the vendors are just stationed somewhere waiting for customers, yet without consultative information for buyers.
In terms of production, we are glad that our farm project components are interdependent. So, this will help a lot in fully utilizing the resources and reducing the costs to achieve the best market rates in town.
Farms (maize, sunflowers) will also be feeding poultry, fish ponds, goats, and beehives. While the goats and poultry will be the sources of fertilizers for the vegetable farms, and even sources of feeding fish ponds. Fish ponds will indeed be good sources of water for the beehives.
Such a kind of interdependence will lead into increased productivity and reduced costs due to the optimum utilization of available resources and farm wastes.
HCD: How have you used human centered design to build or refine your concept? (5000 characters)
I have casually interviewed various doctors, mothers and kids' caregivers about what they think should be done to help kids grow better. My approach seemed relevant to serving the purpose.
More importantly, I have interviewed several kids on their food preferences and what they prefer to watch on the TV as a medium of learning. All kids who had watched Cartoon, dares for more.
However, some kids seemed to like processed foods like chocolates and sweets and others from supermarkets with a lot of sugar which may not be good for their health in the future.
I then interviewed various restaurant workers if they have any diet considerations to special groups like kids under 5 years, pregnant and breastfeeding mothers and seemed like only the customer decided what to consume and therefore if not well informed about the best food for them, the restaurants have nothing to correct or worry about. "We just provide what our customers request without considering their particular diet requirements", said one of the restaurant worker in Bukoba.
Tell us more about you (3000 characters)
My idea came from the introspection and casual observation especially on low income families where diet and health care for pregnant and breastfeeding mothers is an issue.
Again, looking at my young kids (Abrar, Amthal, Arsal and Arham) they would love to watch cartoon channels all the time and from there i wished that the cartoons would be turned in a way that will help kids learn something important more than just fictions. Actually, kids can easily learn and adopt from cartoon.
Do you have the people and partners you need to do what you’ve described? (600 characters)
Yes, I have partners and will surely need more partners to scale up the project. Currently, besides my independent initiatives, I am partnering with my four enterprising friends;
1. Henry Mulisa - for goat and poultry free range farming at his 8 acre farm in Rugazi Village,
2. Shamiru Ismail - for poultry farming at his 10 acre farm in Bugorora village
3. Abbas Habibu - for fish farming at his 15 acre farm in Nsunga village
4. Renaida Kyaruzi - for fish farming expertise and experiences.
I am still looking for programmers, doctors and social workers, etc. to partner with.
As you consider your next steps, what kinds of help could you use? Is there a type of expertise that would be most helpful? (1800 characters)
I can see the need to be joined by other experienced cartoon animators and mobile app developers to make the 2 components of the idea more viable.
I have started navigating some cartoon animators, and hope will get some with a good will and affordable price. I have the total idea for the cartoon movie, though may need someone to write its script professionally.
I will also collaborate with my young brother Mahad Matsawili to code to Dietsoon App, with doctors' inputs inserted. Being joined by other programmers will make the dream come true in the earliest possible.
I also have seen some Challenge participants with Cartoon and Mobile app related ideas, and hope may be my future resources and even partners. Their ideas are quite different from what I am thinking, so there will be no conflict of interests but a win win business partnership.
I will encourage my agro partners - Henry Mulisa, Abbas Habib, Shamiru Ismail and Renaida Kyaruzi to be serious enough to deliver the best results in providing all the nutrients for mothers and children from our organic farm products like fish, fruits, grains, vegetables, meat, eggs, etc.
Would you like mentoring support?
If so, what type of mentoring support do you think you need? (1200 characters)
I will need some professional mentoring support on writing the Lea & Kuza cartoon script. I already have the idea written unprofessionally for programmers to easily understand and code.
Are you willing to share your email contact information submitted on OpenIDEO with Gary Community Investments?
Yes, share my contact information
[Optional] Biography: Upload your biography. Please include links to relevant information (portfolio, LinkedIn profile, organization website, etc).
I am a researcher and entrepreneur, born on Sunday 17th March, 1985 in Nyakibimbili village – Bukoba Rural, living in Bukoba Municipal Council with my family - a wife and 4 kids, 1 being under 3 years old.
I was among the 6 winners of the Ideator’s Prize Award from the Circular Design Challenge funded by Ellen MacArthur Foundation, Wendy Schmidt, and USAID though OPENIDEO. https://challenges.openideo.com/challenge/circular-design/top-ideas
COMPANY WEBSITE: http://www.afrosoft.co.tz/
[Optional] Attachments: Please upload relevant attachments or graphics or show us how you prototyped.
On a my 10 acre farm where I am planning to be growing fruits, vegetables and other food stuffs for improving community health (including pregnant and breastfeeding mothers as well as young kids) through Maisha Raha Restaurants. This farm will also contain modern beehives, fish ponds and sunflower. The farm will be a good source of food for goats, cows, chickens and rabits for milk, eggs and white meat supply.
Sunflower Plot in Nsunga Farm
Cassava Farm in Nyakibimbili
Cassava Farm in Nyakibimbili
Cassava starting to grow
Goats Shed in Rugazi Farm
Some goats in Rugazi Farm
Water Indicators in the areas reserved for fish ponds in Nsunga
Mr. Abbas in the area reserved for fish ponds in partnership with Mr. Sadam Matsawili
Some Maize in Nsunga Farm
Mr. Sadam in the Maize Farm in Nsunga
Mr. Sadam in the Maize Farm Nsunga Village
[Optional] Video: You are invited to submit a 30-60 second video that introduces you and/or your team and your idea.
With a vast arable land available in Kagera region, we can do a lot in improving the lives of mothers and children aged between 0-3 years through farming.
Recently, the Kagera region authority is providing free lands for agro interventions to fight poverty in the region with only a condition that, when given a plot should not take long to develop it.
I and my partners can do better in farming arena, considering our experiences and entrepreneurial relationships, yet our farms are close.
Sadam Matsawili attending agricultural training