THE SELFSTYLE MANIFESTO
It’s not surprising to hear people say teens are the most self-obsessed generation ever. “Selfie” is the Oxford English Language Dictionary’s word of 2013.
At SelfStyle, we believe teens are obsessed about themselves because they want to be something great. And that their obsession can become determination that turns into action that actually leads to something great.
We believe in a world where all teens who decide to be something can achieve it.
So we’re creating a platform where teens create their own identity by acting on their most positive impulses. A place that encourages compassionate and generous behaviors. A place for building positive relationships, creative confidence and wellbeing.
We believe in a world where the “selfie” is replaced with photos that show the results of creative action. And the influence from these actions ripples out throughout Instagram and the conversations that teens care about.
We’re only starting to build SelfStyle. Join us in making something great together.
HOW IT WORKS
1) Users answer the question: “what do you want to be?” by defining and selecting traits from a list designed to cultivate creative confidence.
2) Users create a mission designed to showcase their desired trait.
3) Users share a photo or video of their completed mission to the platform. The content is shared on Facebook and Instagram.
4) Peers on Instagram, Facebook and SelfStyle recognize the behavior which encourages more positive action.
WHY ACTION POSTING? Kids love sharing photos. This way of sharing allows for seamless integration into the conversations and social circles that teens care about on Facebook and Instagram.
WHY PEER CONTROL? Teens can make their own decisions. Even some wrong decisions. But we can’t try to sanitize it and over moderate. The promise of the platform is that they are in charge of their destiny.
HOW IS POSITIVE CREATIVE INFLUENCE INCORPORATED?
1) Positive Recommended Traits
2) Inspirational Positive Missions
3) The SelfStyle Engine Blog
5) Positive Role Models
6) Weighting social voting towards SelfStyle recommended positive traits
7) Compassion Points
8) Anti-Bullying Pledge and reporting function