Support the work of Mutual Aid Groups with an app that aids in food delivery to vulnerable groups impaired by Covid-19 restrictions.
Mutual Aid Groups (MAG) are online communities that have emerged in the UK following lockdown. They are constituted by volunteers which aid delivering food, prescriptions or offer mental support to those self-isolating with symptoms of Covid-19 or who are shielding, due to being in a vulnerable group. MAG’s have proven invaluable in supporting those that do not get support from the Local Authority, Heath Service or have family and friends that can assist in times of lockdown.
The MAGs require a coordinated structure to provide deliveries to those in need, particularly food, as currently vulnerable groups often do not have online accounts, computer literacy or are financially in need. The proposed app will facilitate this function, carefully managing personal data from volunteers and those being assisted, allocating funds to those in need and allowing volunteers that do the deliveries a contactless user experience. This minimises the risk of transmission to those being supported.
What is the need are you focusing on?
There are two needs the app addresses: the management of user’s personal data and reduce risk of transmission between users.
MAG’s agility in matching volunteers with those in need is one of its biggest assets. The aim is to maintain a level of informality which has user data security capabilities. To meet this, the app has two types of volunteers:
1. Those that are not vetted by third parties: they don’t have access to the user’s address but using proxy drop off points.
2. Those that are vetted by third parties: they support those users that need doorstep drop off point.
To minimise transferring the risk form the volunteer to the vulnerable resident, a contactless shopping system is needed. The app allows to:
1. Fill in shopping list for users online
2. Reducing queuing by liaising click and collect with registered shops.
3. Having an online account with funds managed by donations or vouchers.
4. Collecting payment and depositing to an online account.