Adults over 65, are now being told to self-isolate for an indefinite length of time in every country in the world. For this dynamic, diverse, active, family-oriented population, this has resulted in a loss of activities, independence, and social engagement (e.g. no family visits, closed adult day/community centres/churches).
Even with restrictions lifted and the possibility of experimental COVID-19 inoculations rolled out much earlier, many indicate they intend to keep self-isolating to some degree for possibly as long as 1-2 years. Changing to a more isolated lifestyle can negatively impact their health and wellness, including increasing their risk of loneliness.
Additionally, younger family (especially women) are now all carers in some way for their older loved ones, yet they are busy working and taking care of other family members. With a new appreciation for the role of elders in family wellbeing, they are also reflective about the possible loss of their loved ones, and seeking ways to keep older and younger family members meaningfully occupied and connected.
How then, could we help (i) older adults stay mentally active and emotionally engaged from the safety of their homes, and (ii) support their younger family members with simple ways to keep the older generations of their families meaningfully occupied?
MEMORYLINES: THE SIMPLEST WAY TO RECORD YOUR LOVED ONE'S STORIES.
Our skilled interviewers call your loved ones to record their memories, personalities, and family histories so that these can be shared for generations.
These are friendly conversations they can look forward to — especially important during these times when we can't be together.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Sign up and we'll be in touch to book a phone call and learn about your loved one.
- A kind and curious interviewer calls them to say hello and ask them questions about their life and family history over a 40-minute conversation.
- The recording is shared privately with you on a personal webpage*.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT:
- Empathetic interviewers who listen intently and ask the right questions.
- Professional voice recorded memories to be enjoyed with family and friends for generations.
- Personal password-protected webpage to access your recordings.
- You can opt in to work with an artist to transform your recordings to unique heirlooms, or work with a researcher to learn more about the historical contexts that shaped your family.
*MACHINE LEARNING + EMPOWERING PEOPLE TO USE THEIR PERSONAL ARCHIVES:
- Using data from answers to questions about someone’s life, an algorithm records specific details, and submits follow up prompts appropriately (interviewer or DIY approach). In the backend a rough narrative is plotted.
- Users can commission unique books, digital heirlooms, or additional historical research from a community of artists, and/or add personal stories and assets to the wider community to help others build their stories.
We hope this service brings people something simple, reliable and meaningful to look forward to during a time of much uncertainty.